Experience at the self check out (AKA Nickel Dump)

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Experience at the self check out (AKA Nickel Dump)

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:07 am

Hi All!

I'm new to posting but I've actually been reading Realcent since Coinflation.com linked to
the old site. :D (Believe it or not the only thing that held me back that long was that it
took me that long to choose a password, hard coming up with something I can remember,
is reasonably hard for someone else to guess, and I'm not aleady using somewhere else. ;) )

I tend to sort Nickels more than pennies because I hand sort and at the moment it seems
both more efficient in terms of yield for time as well they don't seem as grungy as pennies
overall. If I at some point get a Ryedale that may change though. Annother bonus is
higher value density in my hoard at $10/lb rather than $4/lb ;) Nice being able to pick
99.9% pure out of circulation!

I'd like to thank the person (can't remember who) that said he dumped his Zincolns by
feeding them into the Self Check Out machine at Home Depot. Shortly after I noticed
that a Safeway store near me had one so now every time I go shopping there I unload
some steel 5¢ pieces. :lol:

I went with 4 bags with $10 of nickels each. First 3 bags no problem. Shortly after the
4th bag starts the machine jams up so sombody had to come and unjam it. About 2/3
of the way though that bag it wouldn't take any additional coins, and not just nickels,
wouldn't take a penny, a dime, or a loony either. Apparently it has a point where it has
an "absolute" limited number of coins it will hold regardless of type. So I pay the rest
with a $20 bill, get back my change and the funny part it dispensed the under $1 portion
entirely in nickels! I guess it's programmed to unload whatever it has too much of, at
least when it considers it's self "full", hopefully everyone that used it all day didn't get
a fist full of nickels. :lol: On the good side about a week later when I was going
through my left over bag to see how much I had to top it up for the next trip I discovered
that 3 of the nickels I got back were not my own dump but 3 nice 99.9% pure nickels, bonus!

So the lesson learned is that I should only dump $30 per trip. This works well because
most of my shopping trips I spend between $30 and $50, so I can pay for most of my
purchases in coin.

The next time I went (with exactly $30 in nickels) it went off without a hitch. Funny thing
the couple behind me noticed and the guy said "hey, that's a good idea for me to unload my
pennies". I tipped him off that 600 coins of any type combined seems to be the safe limit
before the machine chokes on it so for pennies he's good for $6 at a time unless I was
ahead of him. :lol: Only glitches that trip were when I got up to the machine there
was transaction that somebody abandoned part way through, I guess they got confused,
gave up, and went to a regular check out instead. The girl had to clear that off. I did
my bagging while the machine was counting batches of coin but it still had some coin to
go by the time I finished so I was standing watching waiting to load more coin. The girl
came over and asked what was wrong so I had to say nothing was, I was just using up
change. (Didn't specify it was all nickels. :lol: ) I guess they'll eventually get used to the
weird guy that uses up his coins at the self check out. :lol:

Prior to this I'd built up a bit of a backlog of "left overs", this should make a good dent
in them. :D
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Experience at the self check out (AKA Nickel Dump)

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:16 am

Welcome - great first post! Haven't seen one of these counters at a retailer yet, myself, but I'll look for them.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:17 am

I love your Location: Winterpeg, Manisnowba
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:46 pm

I wish I had known about the nickels when I lived in Toronto a few years back...American nickels aren't quite as valuable :(
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:34 pm

I noticed the coin machines at Home Depot a while back but still havent taken full advantage of it yet. The joke from an old professor while complaining about political correctness was "Whats next... Personitoba?" Good first post
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Welcome.

I think we should have a contest to see if we can guess your password...just kidding. Thanks for sharing some good info.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 am

Oh yes, my username actually has nothing to do with underwater transportation. It
actually relates to one of my other areas of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fansub

The silver submarine in my avatar is related to a funny incident over at Silverseek:

http://forums.silverseek.com/showthread.php?10708-How-I-lost...20-Free-Eagles!&s=1d0ad1f63c1322598df5c28ab952adab

Never did I realize how appropriate my chosen username would become
when I picked it. :D

As for guessing my password, it won't get you anywhere other than this board. :lol:
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 am

My home depot machines wont take halves. I have tried a few times and it just spits them out. Need to start sorting more dimes and dump them there.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins