Nickel hoard

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickel hoard

Postby mtldealer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:31 am

I have been buying a box of nickels a week for a couple months now... I have $2000 in nickels. Is there anything I should be sorting for? Or just stockpiling it? I'm a newbie, so all the help I can get is appreciated.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Re: Nickel hoard

Postby NHsorter » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:41 am

I find about 2 war nickles per box so you might have a full roll worth in your stash. You can also find .999 Canadian nickles as well. Then you would have loose coin to deal with though. You could re-roll. You'll make more $ per hour greeting people at WalMart, but I enjoy it.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby iluc » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Yeah, how much would you enjoy it as a relaxing, interesting hobby versus the opportunity cost of your time? Incidentally, I think getting those boxes is a brilliant idea. I went through a couple and had no luck getting War Nickels (which I love and bought a bunch of) or anything else.
Ian Lucas
Co-Author, Treasure Hunt in the Enchanted Forest (The Search for Good Money)
www.treasurehuntkidsbook.com
iluc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:06 am

Got 1 war and 2 buffs in last nights box. Thinking of giving up searching nickles for a little while. I have a weekly order for 2 boxes but I think I'll just let them stack up for a while. I can fund it by dumping the piles of searched nickles that I have laying around here.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 am

If you do search, pull out the 2009 nickels. The mintage was low and they sell for a premium.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:58 am

NHsorter wrote:I find about 2 war nickles per box so you might have a full roll worth in your stash. You can also find .999 Canadian nickles as well. Then you would have loose coin to deal with though. You could re-roll. You'll make more $ per hour greeting people at WalMart, but I enjoy it.

Even if you are outside with a hat in your hand :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:06 pm

barrytrot wrote:
NHsorter wrote:I find about 2 war nickles per box so you might have a full roll worth in your stash. You can also find .999 Canadian nickles as well. Then you would have loose coin to deal with though. You could re-roll. You'll make more $ per hour greeting people at WalMart, but I enjoy it.

Even if you are outside with a hat in your hand :)

From what I've heard, "Especially". Make more if you have a good speel. I never could.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Yes, good point, panhandlers are clearing a hell of a lot more than WalMart greeters - and TAX FREE on top of it.

As for the 2009 nickles, I have not found a single one and I look at the date of each nickel. I have done about 40 boxes this year! What are the odds of that? It is my understanding that there are certain regions where you are much more likely to find them.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pir8football » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:54 pm

I don't know what to say about the 2009's. I own two sub shops & check every single nickle that comes through both stores and have yet to find one. It's a mission. ;-)
pir8football

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:43 pm

I live in NC and i see 2009 nickels all the time, ive searched boxes and had as many as 30+. Never thought to save them, i thought they were only rare if they were BU rolls?
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DRP270 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:55 pm

I respect your tenacity in buying nickles. I once went into the bank to get some cash and flippantly asked for $20 in nickles. After a brief stare she walked over and got a plastic bag. WTF is she doing? Then out came the box as she counted out 10 rolls. Bang on the counter. Everyone was looking. I felt like an idiot. I left but since just gathered nickles from change. Perhaps buying boxes is a more discrete way to go, thanks.
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:59 pm

DRP270 wrote:I respect your tenacity in buying nickles. I once went into the bank to get some cash and flippantly asked for $20 in nickles. After a brief stare she walked over and got a plastic bag. WTF is she doing? Then out came the box as she counted out 10 rolls. Bang on the counter. Everyone was looking. I felt like an idiot. I left but since just gathered nickles from change. Perhaps buying boxes is a more discrete way to go, thanks.

All you do is go to the teller with all the confidence in the world, say you'd like to place a change order for a box of nickels, and they'll go "ok", get you the box. They might have to open the vault on a timer, so you might have to wait 10 minutes for that. And/or you might say you'd like to place an order for xx boxes of nickels to be picked up next week. They might verify you have an account, but generally they'll just go "ok", and tell you when the order should come in.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DRP270 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:12 pm

68Camaro wrote:
DRP270 wrote:I respect your tenacity in buying nickles. I once went into the bank to get some cash and flippantly asked for $20 in nickles. After a brief stare she walked over and got a plastic bag. WTF is she doing? Then out came the box as she counted out 10 rolls. Bang on the counter. Everyone was looking. I felt like an idiot. I left but since just gathered nickles from change. Perhaps buying boxes is a more discrete way to go, thanks.

All you do is go to the teller with all the confidence in the world, say you'd like to place a change order for a box of nickels, and they'll go "ok", get you the box. They might have to open the vault on a timer, so you might have to wait 10 minutes for that. And/or you might say you'd like to place an order for xx boxes of nickels to be picked up next week. They might verify you have an account, but generally they'll just go "ok", and tell you when the order should come in.

Thanks, I will try that. I do have an account at the bank.
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Postby iluc » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:45 am

I've ordered up to a few boxes at a time and have always found tellers to respond well to good humor and politeness. My line is just that I like collecting coins. When it's slow business hours, they can even be chatty. :-)
Ian Lucas
Co-Author, Treasure Hunt in the Enchanted Forest (The Search for Good Money)
www.treasurehuntkidsbook.com
iluc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby pir8football » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 am

Mercuryman wrote:I live in NC and i see 2009 nickels all the time, ive searched boxes and had as many as 30+. Never thought to save them, i thought they were only rare if they were BU rolls?

I'm just a couple hours south in Columbia, SC. Ive searched on average ten rolls a week for many years & have never even seen a 2009, crazy. I did find my first 50D a few months ago though.
pir8football

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 am

I just toss 'em in a bucket until I get around to sorting them. I have found every date except the 50-D and the 2009s so far. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby pir8football » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:22 am

HA! Finally found a 2009d. It's not in the best of shape but still glad to have one. It was in the tip jar at one of my stores.
pir8football

Postby agmoose » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:23 pm

I save the 2009's as well. I usually find only 2-3 per box here in FL. The last couple were D mints though.....weird. I get tons of 2011's though....probably 100 a box or more. I've been searching boxes for two years, never found that elusive 50D either, or a 44S from a box. I did get a 44S, but it was in change, not while searching.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pir8football » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:00 pm

I am still missing the 38D, 38S, and 39D. Everything else I pulled out of circulation. Good luck finding that 44S ;-)
pir8football

Postby Silver_Stampede » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Here in Southern California i find 2009 nickels all the time!!! I am jealous of all the people who find the 1938 and 1950-D nickels! Southern CA has a huge influx of new coins, so all you people in the rural small towns may not be getting 2009 nickels, but you guys have so many more old coins, not to mention much better copper percentages! haha : )
"There comes a time in every man's life when he must hoard precious metals..."
Silver_Stampede

Postby Numismatist28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:52 am

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/194...kel-Value.html

According to this, a nickel is worth pretty much the 5 face value cents that it is. So, why do people still collect/hoard them?
Numismatist28

Postby tractorman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:03 am

Its an investment in nickel and copper with absolutely no risk of losing money. The metal prices could go up, but the nickels will always be worth 5 cents each face value.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Numismatist28 wrote:http://www.coinflation.com/coins/194...kel-Value.html

According to this, a nickel is worth pretty much the 5 face value cents that it is. So, why do people still collect/hoard them?

:lol: Gee, that sounds like "Why save silver coins", but asked in 1965.

Too much money exists. We are going to see metals go up relative to paper, some day.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numismatist28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I see what you're saying, but I guess I just don't fully understand why people would go for 5 cent nickels right now that MIGHT go up in value later on versus the pre-1982 pennies, which ALREADY are worth 2.5 times their nominal value. If one were to hoard a US coin right now wouldn't the penny clearly win over the nickel?
Numismatist28

Postby MUTiger » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Nickel was trading for aroud $24 per pound just a few years ago. Then your nickel was worth around 12-15 cents. That day will come again sooner rather than later.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins