Is this different?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Is this different?

Postby Treetop » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 am

first as is probably clear im no expert. Just someone who believes in hard money. But I have kept pretty close track to silvers price for a few years now.

I think most of us here think it will go up long term. Many of us think it will become unhinged from old patterns. It seems to be acting a bit different then usual. im starting to find silvers news, or gold, in places that mocked it before.

so really there are a few questions. does this seem different to everyone else? Is silver now unhinged? or COULD it be unhinged?
Maybe it will make a few jumps up and down, and before the markets admit its unhinged?

I dont know, just wondering what everyone else is thinking.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Is this different?

Postby Dvorak » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:34 am

Silver is silver & gold is gold. It has been that way for thousands of years.

What is different is that people are waking up to the farce that is fiat. The dollar has become unhinged thanks to the policies of our leaders.
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby stateofmind » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:38 am

Things are almost NEVER different. Look at Oil, Rhodium, Silver in 08'. Every time we see these large spikes investors will question whether or not "this time it could possibly be different." The general long term trend for silver and other commodities is upwards...but if you are buying now you are going to not like the upcoming correction.

A textbook example:
Did investors of Rhodium in 07' wonder whether or not it was different? You bet they did.
Was it?
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:46 am

Things ARE different. The examples you used were based on a relatively (perception-wise) value attributed to the dollar. That HAS changed and will continue to do so... the same with fiat currencies worldwide. Not to deny that there will be upwards peaks and downwards spikes along the ascending path for precious and base metals... but really, what other choice do we have? The best we can hope for is that PM's skyrocket before the dollar completely unravels and chaotic anarchy ensues. At least that way, you could move some "profits" towards preps you would need to ride out the storm. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:56 am

stateofmind wrote:Things are almost NEVER different. Look at Oil, Rhodium, Silver in 08'. Every time we see these large spikes investors will question whether or not "this time it could possibly be different." The general long term trend for silver and other commodities is upwards...but if you are buying now you are going to not like the upcoming correction.

A textbook example:
Did investors of Rhodium in 07' wonder whether or not it was different? You bet they did.
Was it?

Excellent point State of Mind! Rhodium, and other metal commodities just go thru chaotic "bubble" cycles of supply and demand. Buy GM stocks instead, along with Fannie Mae & Freddy Mac... those are real winners! I am putting $30K into American Airlines on Monday! :lol:

Seriously, SOM, what investments do you recommend?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:44 am

IMHO, we are seeing the first effects of a massive SHORT SQUEEZE of JPM and friends in SILVER, and to a smaller extent in GOLD. There are some who believe that this will be like the Cornelius Vanderbilt short squeeze of years gone by, when he purposely let sellers sell short railroad stock when he was the only one he owned the shares for which they could cover (buy back) their short positions. The result was that the SHORT SELLERS were bankrupted because Vanderbilt could charge whatever price for the shares they needed that he wanted - the price he charged bankrupted them all. Of course, in today's age of Federal bailouts, the FED would have no recourse but to bail out the "TOO BIG TO FAIL BANKS" once again. However, when the hedge funds smell blood, they are like sharks moving in for the kill. I would look for the hedgees to make a big impact in the relatively small SILVER market in the next few weeks. The level that SILVER and GOLD could reach is unknown under all these variables, but I would guess it would be MULTIPLES higher than it is now. Did you WONDER why SILVER made a dramatic rise on Friday while the dollar was very strong? Looks like SHORT COVERING to me. :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:01 am

Interesting replies everyone......

Basically I anticipate a time it WILL be different stateofmind.... I think that might be coming in silver sooner then later......

That said, I wouldnt be surprised if there is a major correction, but Im still not afraid to buy now at all. Not in the least, Id rather buy no and know I have it then do not buy now waiting for a correction that might not come, because i really do think we are going to start seeing the old patterns breaking down. and im not convinced its now, but I get the feeling its soon.....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:34 am

As far as silver goes...not buying now. I just can't it's too painful. I will consider selling a fraction of my hoard If I sense a massive sheeple pile on. New acronym MSPO pronounced mispo what do you think of that one?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:41 am

Thogey wrote:As far as silver goes...not buying now. I just can't it's too painful. I will consider selling a fraction of my hoard If I sense a massive sheeple pile on. New acronym MSPO pronounced mispo what do you think of that one?

Ive been buying and selling, Im transferring my silver into forms that the local market prefers......
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Thogey wrote:As far as silver goes...not buying now. I just can't it's too painful. I will consider selling a fraction of my hoard If I sense a massive sheeple pile on. New acronym MSPO pronounced mispo what do you think of that one?

Cool! I like it. I think that is just around the corner.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dougefresh » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Thogey, nice thought but as an example, I only know one guy at work (out of about 150) who is saving copper pennies and buying silver at our local flea market. And he is not really into it as a meaningful percentage of his assets I am sure. I'm sure if you stopped 100 people walking down the street, and could interview them, only 1 or 2 would even have any gold or silver. How many would you find that were buying in response to what we know is happening in our country/world? Not many, I would guess.

If you think my estimates are off, please chime in.

Later,
dougefresh
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals