Fake 90% silver coins.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fake 90% silver coins.

Postby Ardent Listener » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:02 pm

All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Re: Fake 90% silver coins.

Postby HelloMeteor » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:03 pm

I've wondered if some of my morgans are fake, and have no idea how to tell. I bought them from APMEX.
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I Hate China!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Does anyone know what material they are using on those counterfeits?
TXBullion

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Ray's dime strategy looks pretty good.

Has anyone here discovered fake 90% in thier hoard?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Thogey wrote:Ray's dime strategy looks pretty good.

Has anyone here discovered fake 90% in thier hoard?

Whats the dime strategy ?

I have not but I tried identifying a suspect using this page

http://coinauctionshelp.com/Counterfeit ... ollar.html
TXBullion

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:26 pm

He buys dimes. He believes the tiny silver coins will be easy to trade with when silver skyrockets.

A by-product, IMO, is that there's not a whole lot of dime counterfieting going on...at this point
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Oh yes I think I remember something about that , plus they dont really carry a premium so you are getting more Ag for $ unless they are slick.
TXBullion

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks for posting this. Essential knowledge for silver bugs. I've bought fake crap on e-bay before, be suspect of old French large silver coins as well.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby walt2727 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am

Thank you for posting.
walt2727
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rainsonme » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:45 pm

I bought some old chinese "silver" coins in San Fran last year, knowing they were probably fake. They looked really good; very much like silver; had proper markings on them, were old and a little worn. And a magnet stuck to each of them.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dvorak » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm overly paranoid about this, so I appreciate the lesson. Even when you buy from someone you trust completely, you never know who they might have got them from. I doubt there are many folks that can say they got their Morgan straight from the mint (GSA aside).
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rainsonme » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Just to add to the paranoia, most coin shops don't spend a lot of time inspecting their junk silver. They just dump it into the bin, or quickly roll it. So even if I buy from a coin shop I trust, I can't expect they've inspected and weighed each piece of junk coin I am buying for melt. I suppose the higher the price of silver goes, the lower down the denomination scale the counter-fitting will go. That might mean dimes would be the last 90% denomination to be polluted with counter-fits ---- or not; it might take a much more sensitive scale and caliper to determin a fake dime.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rambo_k9 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Chinese fakes have a decent amount of silver in them? Surely not mint grade but at the same time there is silver in them. Anyone know or melt one to see?
rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:37 pm

The last chinese fakes I bought were Chinese coins. They were beautiful.

They stuck to a magnet like a fly on .....
Thogey

Postby Ardent Listener » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Thogey wrote:The last chinese fakes I bought were Chinese coins. They were beautiful.

They stuck to a magnet like a fly on .....

Much like fake Chinese medicines, no side-effects. In fact, no effects at all. :lol:
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby BOHICA » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 pm

I was at the coin shop yesterday and did not buy any dollars as I could see they were of two different thicknesses. I'm really leery of them now.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals