Wow, just wow!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Wow, just wow!

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:12 pm

If you have that much in PMs and cash, build a vault to put it in:

http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?Sectio ... eID=101196
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Wow, just wow!

Postby texcollex » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Truly Double Wow!

"The victim said that the following is missing from her home: 7,000 American Silver Eagle 1-ounce coins in plastic sleeves; 12 bags of silver nickels, dimes and quarters minted from 1920-1963; 15 South African Krugerrand gold coins; 20 10-pound bars of silver; 20 5-pound bars of silver; 30 American Gold Eagle coins with Canadian Gold Maple Leafs; 10-ounce and 6-ounce bars of silver with Johnson Matthey and Engelhard stamps; and $80,000 cash in bank envelopes." :o
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby Neckro » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Could've took 10k and built a nice safe. Stupid lady, Very stupid.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Neckro wrote:Could've took 10k and built a nice safe. Stupid lady, Very stupid.

That was over $500,000 worth of PMs and money taken. You gotta wonder how someone got wind of what was stashed in the house. Just cash alone in the amount stated would call for some kind of safe IMHO.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:05 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:
Neckro wrote:Could've took 10k and built a nice safe. Stupid lady, Very stupid.

That was over $500,000 worth of PMs and money taken. You gotta wonder how someone got wind of what was stashed in the house. Just cash alone in the amount stated would call for some kind of safe IMHO.

I believe the burglars broke in through a glass door. Besides ground level basement windows I believe the sliding glass door (open to the back yard) is the most popular point of entry for thieves. Almost no security and she obviously told people what she had. The article mentions nothing about the place being ransacked so the thieves apparantly knew just where to look.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:25 pm

theo wrote:I believe the burglars broke in through a glass door. Besides ground level basement windows I believe the sliding glass door (open to the back yard) is the most popular point of entry for thieves. Almost no security and she obviously told people what she had. The article mentions nothing about the place being ransacked so the thieves apparantly knew just where to look.

Wonder if she had any neighbors keeping an eye on the neighboorhood :roll: ? Sedona is a beautiful area but I wonder if people are preyed upon in nice areas that have low population densities, like out in the country sticks for example. A friend of ours had their car stolen out of their driveway this past year and joy-ridden and left for abandon. Of course parts were stripped etc. when the police found it soon afterwards. The car was an old Honda too and worth maybe a few grand at the time when when my friend had acquired it. This was out in the San Bernardino, CA area in a semi-remote location. Someone had to go off the beaten path to find her house and spot the car. There is a faction of no-good-doers who probe looking for stuff to steal. Find it hard to believe this person who had their PMs and cash stolen was randomly targeted, though.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:45 pm

inside job!

Here in Prescott there was a theft. A woman had her silver dollar year set(from 1804) stolen from her bedroom closet.

From Goodfellas "The two most important things in life, Keep your mouth shut and don't say nuthin to nobody"
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverdude » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:16 pm

With the cash, I would have a very nice safe, alarm, and cameras.

Wonder how long it took the thief or thieves to take it all?
silverdude

Postby beauanderos » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:23 pm

I didn't believe this story when I read it at coinflation, and I still don't. Sounds like an insurance scam to me.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:18 pm

beauanderos wrote:I didn't believe this story when I read it at coinflation, and I still don't. Sounds like an insurance scam to me.

my thoughts exactly......besides all the obvious stuff, exact count, little security, two things stick out, with 7,000 ASES, why does the bird stashed 'em in individual plastic sleeves?, that just increases the ....untidiness AND the right and proper way to stash metals....second, i know guys who know guys who know guys..ok?....and 80 large in folding money means said person is knee deep in the black market...this dame just made the mistake of her life, on many levels.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Ardent Listener » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Their are lots of old bank buildings out there with vaults included. One of my dealer friends in Erie PA ( Gold Exchange) just put one of his coin/jewelry shops in one. An old bank building here in town failed to sell at auction. Scrap the vault and you could get your money back out of it. Lol!
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Now if she had that much value in copper, no thief could ever steal it without a forklift and heavy transportation equipment.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:35 pm

If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Will she get a safe now? She just gave up her secrecy anyway with the news of the theft in the first place. As far as the thief goes, maybe he can be put in that safe once she gets it.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 pm

someone KNEW where to look!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals