25 anniversary price drop

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

25 anniversary price drop

Postby penny pretty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:54 pm

anyone notice how much the price has dropped on ebay? Ive seen 69 graded sets going for lower than what regular sets went for the 1st few days. will price rebound? I still have 2 sets ill be holding onto awhile. TY for any input!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 25 anniversary price drop

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:02 pm

nope, its a fad
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:15 pm

I sold my 4 sets for: 743, 714, 705, 695. The other day I saw a set go for $615. Glad I sold them while I could. Once they drop off a bit, they will hold a nice premium for years to come.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:08 pm

IMO, they are waaaay overpriced. Don't worry, the market will fix that (ie. the prices will drop even further).
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:20 pm

They're worth what you paid for them. Beyond that, you'll need to find someone who has too much money. Premium items are going to be the last things to sell with bullion prices dropping across the board. Those who sold immediately will make more from them than those who hold now for years as the pricing tier of buyers willing to throw money at them has been exhausted.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 am

Ah market forces at work.

You could consider these sets tickets to a sold out show or sporting event. When is the highest price you can charge for them? Before kick off or Billy Joel exits his dressing room. Once the game or show starts, the price of tickets on the secondary market (or the street) plummets. Why? The people willing to pay the most are already in the stands.

They'll still sell for a premium. However, buyers and sellers with cooler heads will do it.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:25 pm

thanx guys...I was looking to buy one set,(I had a USMINT ACCT already) when I was able to log in after an hour, I upped my order to 3 which I really couldnt afford. but sold one to LCD for 650.so basicall y still have 2 setsthat I got for 125 each
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby texcollex » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Sold my five as one unopened box and did well. My dad did the same. Glad we sold early.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby Double3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:49 am

I gave someone a good deal on my box of 5 the other day.

Should have sold them at the top but I didn't since I kept going back and forth with what I wanted to do with them.

I made money. Just wanted to move them so I didn't have to worry about them anymore. :lol: Although I kinda wanted to keep a set...oh well
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby camtender » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:21 pm

exbingoaddict wrote:Ah market forces at work.

You could consider these sets tickets to a sold out show or sporting event. When is the highest price you can charge for them? Before kick off or Billy Joel exits his dressing room. Once the game or show starts, the price of tickets on the secondary market (or the street) plummets. Why? The people willing to pay the most are already in the stands.

They'll still sell for a premium. However, buyers and sellers with cooler heads will do it.

My exact thoughts......................I have called it the "Rolling Stone Syndrome" for years. Why? About a decade or so ago, one of my friends in AZ was in the right spot in line at Dillard's when they were selling Stone's tickets. He purchased twelve, the first six tickets he immediately sold for $600 to people that had gotten in line first but where no behind him in line (Dillard's would give each person a number in line, starting with number one and so forth -then right before they sold the tickets, they would randomly pick a number, and that was the first person in line). My friend was at the back of the line before the random number was picked, Dillard's picked a number a few ahead of his.

Several days before the show, he could not sell the other six tickets for even face value and had to give them away because the people that were going to go the the show no matter what the cost, had already secured their tickets no matter the cost.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:44 am

Prices have held steady since a realistic market price was found. Boxes were 4k for a bit, now they are a realistic 3k. The trick is to get in on the true cherry picking aspect of it. To get just one nice set you have to pretty much buy 5, and hope you get lucky, like literally hoping the best actual coin did not fall out of it's holder when the UPS guy threw it into the truck. And, yeah I'm talking about the RP coins which are easily trashed out and were difficult to get in MS70 grades back in 2006. Besides the initial crazy prices, boxes and open sets go for double, MS70 graded sets triple and more. Even 2006 sets are still selling for triple at MS69 or less. If you want to bang on ASE rounds, start a thread on it, believe me, I'd be posting. A recent comp to the 25th ASE sets?, the 2009 chronicles sets, it has a comparable mintage vs. the 2006 annie sets at 250k, the projection is for a temporary rise in prices after the initial supply is exhausted. That day will be most likely a month of two after when you can't find 5-10 boxes for sale every single day on Ebay.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Beau » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:03 am

I hope you guys that got them really enjoy the coins.
maybe you will get stuck with them then that would be funny, you profit from the coins and the real collectors don`t get a chance at 1 set.
I didn`t even get 1 set for myself, so ya`ll suck it up and enjoy your extra money from your Ebay sales.
I received an email that all Ebay sales were being tracked, so the mint can delete the people that were just buying coins for resale, and they would be found identified and taxed, on all your Ebay accounts.
they already have your name and address.

WOW THE CHICKENS FINALLY CAME HOME TO ROOST

THANKS AND ENJOY

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby camtender » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:40 am

Beau wrote:.
I hope you guys that got them really enjoy the coins.
maybe you will get stuck with them then that would be funny, you profit from the coins and the real collectors don`t get a chance at 1 set.
I didn`t even get 1 set for myself, so ya`ll suck it up and enjoy your extra money from your Ebay sales.
I received an email that all Ebay sales were being tracked, so the mint can delete the people that were just buying coins for resale, and they would be found identified and taxed, on all your Ebay accounts.
they already have your name and address.

WOW THE CHICKENS FINALLY CAME HOME TO ROOST

THANKS AND ENJOY

WTF? Yeah, eBay is going to voluntarily send everyone's personal information to the US Mint because the Mint does not allow resale of the coins & they are going to 1099 to the IRS for everyone that sold a set of 25th anniversary eagles on eBay.

Competence is knowing what you know, knowing what you don't know and the discernment to know the difference.

I got an email a week ago saying SpaceMan had landed..................................
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby hejira11 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:26 am

( I edited out something...snarky that was directed at another member)
Last edited by hejira11 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby hejira11 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:31 am

Penny Pretty,

I learned that the markets cool with the 2010 5oz ATB's. This time, I bought 1 set and sold it for over 850 on the Bay. I am going to try to buy a set to keep in July. at any rate, I belive I may see a set in the 400 range at some point.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 am

Anybody remember when the US mint released the 1999 US state quarter 9 coin silver set and they were bring upwards to $400 a set. Now, no takers at $100. I always take a wait and see attitude. I believe the ASE 25th anniversary set will go the same way. I feel sorry for the ones who paid 4 figure for theirs. As for the issue of what was said above my 10 cents worth, remember we live in a free market economy. If you have the coin to buy than buy. And enjoy. To each his own. I'll get off my soapbox now. :roll:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm

At least back in 99 unemployment was only 4.2%.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:29 pm

thanks again for all the replies.I did really want a set to keep, so now I have 2 , looking like a good move to sell one locally for 650(no ebay fees)
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals