A Christmas surprise

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A Christmas surprise

Postby justoneguy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:06 pm

We were opening presents on Christmas morning, when my daughter and son-in law gave me a package.
I open it to see a whitman folder for morgan dollars and Wait was is that ??
It's a small blue box, I can tell right awat that it was a U.S. mint box, but kinda beat up.
They start explaining to me, how hard I am to buy for so, they just threw in an old coin set from when he was a kid.
I look at the box, it says "United States Liberty Coins". Hmm, something sounded familier about that.
Was a "Liberty Coin" an ASE ? No that wasn't it.
I opened the box took a peek at what's inside, then leave the room to get my glasses.
WOW, It really was what I thought it was.
a 1986 commemerative silve dollar, woo hoo !!
But there next to it, there IT was, a $5 liberty gold coin 1/4 oz of US minted gold! :shock: :shock:
then some other no-point of having half dollar.
I tell them right away that this is too much, they can't afford to give me such an expensive gift.
Turns out that He's had it since childhood and played with it a lot.
They had tried to sell this set at a garage sale for $1 last year, but cnoone was interested in it.
I told him that I thought that I could sell it for them for about $450 or so.
It's been a huge topic of discussion how I knew instantly and exactly what i had recieved.
I thank all Ya'all
We agreed that I should sell it and that we would split the cash evenly.
Now I'm thinking of giving them $300 cash for it and keeping my little Christmas miracle coin set
1986 Liberty Coin set001.jpg
1986 Liberty Coin set001.jpg (39.39 KiB) Viewed 363 times
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: A Christmas surprise

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Excellent! I have several of these. Price fluctuates with the market and demand, and ebay prices are all over the place, but $430 is probably a nominal value for the set. (The gold coin isn't quite a 1/4 oz. The $20 piece wasn't an ounce, as the price of gold wasn't fixed at $20, but $20.67, so a $5 coin is 5/20.67 ounces of gold, or .2419 toz.) They gold goes for $400-ish, and another $25-ish for the dollar. Amazing that they couldn't sell it for $1 - face value alone is $6.50!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Can you let us know the next time the kids have a garage sale!?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby bman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Thogey wrote:Can you let us know the next time the kids have a garage sale!?

I was thinking the same thing!!! :shock:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Surprise for sure. Nice gift. Maybe they should go through any coins they have from now on, hehe.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby fb101 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:17 pm

That was sweet. Congratulations.
fb101

Postby twentybux » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Congrats and Merry Christmas!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals