Silver buying opportunity at 25? 20% discount? POLL

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Is silver on the way to 25 before seeing 50?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 pm

yes, first half 2012
42%
yes, second half of 2012 or later
2%
no, won't see 25 again
42%
no, won't see 25 in 2012
14%

Total votes : 57

Silver buying opportunity at 25? 20% discount? POLL

Postby slara512 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:34 pm

With todays drop in Gold and the euro caused rise in the US Dollar, would anyone agree or argue against the possibility that silver is on the way to seeing $25?

silver weeky 12-12.png
Silver Futures weekly
silver weeky 12-12.png (29.35 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

It would not be unreasonable for silver prices to fall back and test the break levels near 20, and only then turn around and go back up after confirming support.

What say ye?
Last edited by slara512 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Permit me to issue and control the money of the nation and I care not who makes its laws". — Mayer Amsched Rothchild, a prominent European banker in the eighteenth century

Be like the Rhino, pick a direction and CHARGE. Then after the dust settles, look and charge again.
slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Silver buying opportunity at 25? 20% discount?

Postby Beau » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:02 pm

this should have been a poll.
everyone has a different opinion, and no one knows.
the whole stock market has been down all day.

GOOD LUCK Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Silver buying opportunity at 25? 20% discount?

Postby slara512 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Beau wrote:.
this should have been a poll.

ah, I see, Im new here, good point. didn't know I could do that.
"Permit me to issue and control the money of the nation and I care not who makes its laws". — Mayer Amsched Rothchild, a prominent European banker in the eighteenth century

Be like the Rhino, pick a direction and CHARGE. Then after the dust settles, look and charge again.
slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Silver buying opportunity at 25? 20% discount? POLL

Postby DirtyFingers » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:50 pm

All things considered, I thought silver hung pretty tough today.

Can't say the same for gold. Stopped in at my LCS today and there was no fractional gold to be
found. Just a few one ounce GAE and some graded old gold. He can't keep 999 or 90% silver
in stock. Flies out the door as fast as he gets it.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby texcollex » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:11 pm

If it does hit 25 (I voted it would), I sure hope I have some cash free to pick up a few rolls. Of course, me voting that it would hit 25 in the first half of 2012 ASSURES that it will do something totally different.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby slara512 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:12 pm

since we silver pretty much hit 50, 25 would be a natural retracement target before continuing higher. IF there are so many bulls that coin stores can't keep up with demand, that probably tells me silver/gold buyers are not fearful at all of falling metal prices, which is says as far as sentiment goes, that there are more people in the metals bus than out of the bus. where are all the contrarians?

slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slara512 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:11 pm

its funny that right now its pretty much split between we will see 25 very soon and will will never see 25 again :)

slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Postby oober » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:27 pm

If you have an exit plan, don't worry about, just DCA with 50-75% of your weekly allocation and hold the rest back for a drop, but you may be paying more also.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slara512 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:58 pm

oober wrote:If you have an exit plan, don't worry about, just DCA with 50-75% of your weekly allocation and hold the rest back for a drop, but you may be paying more also.

yes, I also like the idea of selling puts and calls around a core position. another way to create more cash to buy more.

thinking of selling puts on SLV if silver drops.

slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:00 pm

I've been in this silver game only since March. I've got a lot to learn, but this much I know for sure. No one knows where silver is going. Not me. Not you. Not a chart. Not a computer program. Nobody. So if you want silver, my advice is to buy it.

As for the poll, I can't vote in it. No option for "I don't know".
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm

I think we could come close but not all the way down to $25. Either way, I'm still bullish and stacking! :)
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:05 pm

If we go to $25, I'll be buying. If we go to $50, I'll be buying. It's just a matter of ounces exchanged for FRN's to combat wealth degeneration. So, one way or the other, I guess it doesn't matter.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 pm

justj2k78 wrote:I've been in this silver game only since March. I've got a lot to learn, but this much I know for sure. No one knows where silver is going. Not me. Not you. Not a chart. Not a computer program. Nobody. So if you want silver, my advice is to buy it.

Well aren't we just a fence riding wet blanket. :lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rosco » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:32 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
justj2k78 wrote:I've been in this silver game only since March. I've got a lot to learn, but this much I know for sure. No one knows where silver is going. Not me. Not you. Not a chart. Not a computer program. Nobody. So if you want silver, my advice is to buy it.

You stack Slabs :mrgreen: an some of us Stack Dimes :lol: different perspective

:o I doubt any Dime stacker goes around sticking fingers in other peoples mouth :lol: :?:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:44 am

Rosco wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:

You stack Slabs :mrgreen: an some of us Stack Dimes :lol: different perspective

:o I doubt any Dime stacker goes around sticking fingers in other peoples mouth :lol: :?:

I heard that at Thanksgiving, the annual Rodebaugh blessing gives thanks that he chose dentistry over proctology.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:11 am

no offense to the OP, but i think you are looking at it wrong. i try to look at it in probabilities. say i'm nearly certain it will go to 50 - say 95% certain. there may be a 5% probability that it goes to $25. its foolish to come up with a guess and thehn convince yourself that is the only thing that can happen. i think in the near term there is more room to go down - at least until the situation in europe is resolved - and i mean down - like lehman or worse - but long term 50 will be left behind in the dust.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 am

I'll just note that a relatively few weeks ago spot briefly hit $26, and all these people that are saying "I'm gonna back up the truck when it hits 25" stayed on the sidelines. 25, 26, what does it matter? Anyone trying to time this perfectly is in danger of completely missing the boat.

And I'll reiterate in a slightly different way that spot price doesn't mean an attainable real purchasing price for physical. In the most recent dip when spot touched into the 26s, the price one was practically paying for delivered bullion in the hand was in the low 30s.

These brief little spot dips don't amount to squat. Practically speaking I've not seen any attainable physical below 29 and change (that only momentarily, and with surcharges and fees on top of it) since very early in the year, almost a year ago.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 am

Let it drop! It would have to drop below $18 to begin to hurt me. My dollar cost average is way south of that at $11.70. Hahahaha! :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:12 am

I think there is a very real possibility for paper silver (futures) to fall to 25 or so as longs flee the COMEX game in the wake of MF Global and in favor of settling in physical for the long term. I'm not sure that we ever see 25 again for physical silver. Should the futures/spot hit 25, I expect dealers of physical will still be charging $30+/ozt.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slara512 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:58 pm

has anyone ever taken deilvery of a comex bar at 1000 oz or even 5000 oz?, we are saying there is a difference between the comex and the dealers.

silver-1000oz-comex-bar-stack1.jpg
Silver 1000 ox bars stacked
silver-1000oz-comex-bar-stack1.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 716 times

slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slara512 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:09 pm

days not done but heres a look at today numbers
futtures 12-14-11.png
Futures 12-14-11
futtures 12-14-11.png (93.7 KiB) Viewed 633 times

I think the drop is mostly Oil's fault, it was looking like it break out higher, but failed, bringing down the commodity space against the rising dollar. Oil makes up 40-60% of most commodity baskets in different forms of energy products.

slara512
Penny Sorter Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:14 pm

It's all my fault. I added to my stack Monday and made spot do a header :cry:

Seriously, I'm glad I bought when I did - might be hard to find locally real soon.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:42 am

I go with Yogi Berra's advice on this one, "If you find a fork in the road, take it." :P
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 am

exbingoaddict wrote:I go with Yogi Berra's advice on this one, "If you find a fork in the road, take it." :P

Yeah, especially if its hallmarked!!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:18 am

Well, have we seen the bottom or will we still see $25? I'm sticking with that we will not see $25, but if I am wrong, I will buy "cheap" silver, if not I'll be happy.
Keep on stacking! :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals