Interesting email from Ebay

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Interesting email from Ebay

Postby lewbo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:19 pm

I got a interesting email from Ebay today. I had bid on a ASE on the 26th, but got outbid within 1 hour. The email says I am now the high bidder as the other bid had been retracted. I looked at the reason and it said "entered wrong amount" the bid was for $37. Looks like folks are getting out of their bids now that silver has fallen. I will be happy if I win at what I bid as ASE still carry a premium to spot in my opinion.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Interesting email from Ebay

Postby everything » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:35 pm

This is the one I got last time, how to do you bid by mistake?

Winning bidder said he bid on this by mistake. You are the next highest bidder. The coin is yours if you want it. Thanks
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kidman232 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:47 pm

sounds like they were bidding up their own auction and accidently won, so they now offer it to u
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 am

amazing folks bid without knowing the spot price. I buy most of my eagles on ebay to avoid tax. (NY taxes at %8) can get a good deal if you look!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tn-dave » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:47 am

kidman232 wrote:sounds like they were bidding up their own auction and accidently won, so they now offer it to u

I bet that happens a lot....
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby Chaboo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Ok, cheapo question here:
Do they offer it to you at your max bid or at the amount it would've been without the other person's bid?
ie
winning bid 38
your max 37
next highest bid 35

If the increment's a dollar, it should be yours for $36.
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kidman232 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:21 pm

goes to yours at 37
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Chaboo wrote:Ok, cheapo question here:
Do they offer it to you at your max bid or at the amount it would've been without the other person's bid?
ie
winning bid 38
your max 37
next highest bid 35

If the increment's a dollar, it should be yours for $36.

Cheapo questions are great! :lol:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:49 pm

I think there are people out there with 2nd accounts and they are using the 2nd account to test how high your bid is by putting in a high bid and then cancelling right away. Then, before the auction ends, they can use a 3rd account to put in a bid just under your high bid.

Ex.
You bid $35 as you max bid, but right now you are at $30 cause the next highest bid was $29.

Using a 2nd account, they put in a max bid of $37 and they see that you had a max of $35 because they popped up as the high bidder at $36. But then they cancel the bid right away. So now you are back as the high bidder at $30 just like they never placed that $37 bid.

Now, right before the auction ends, they use a 3rd account and put in a bid of $34 because they know that you are at $35 and they will automatically be outbid.

I have heard of sellers doing this, I don't know how true it is, but it seems possible to me and that is what I thought of when I read your post.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mr18 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:09 am

sounds like a lot of work to sucker some one in to a bid. I guess if Ebay is your full time thing, its worth it. NHSorter, you sure know a lot about this stuff, you sure you haven't doen this? ;)
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Chief » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:07 am

NHsorter wrote:I think there are people out there with 2nd accounts and they are using the 2nd account to test how high your bid is by putting in a high bid and then cancelling right away. Then, before the auction ends, they can use a 3rd account to put in a bid just under your high bid.

Ex.
You bid $35 as you max bid, but right now you are at $30 cause the next highest bid was $29.

Using a 2nd account, they put in a max bid of $37 and they see that you had a max of $35 because they popped up as the high bidder at $36. But then they cancel the bid right away. So now you are back as the high bidder at $30 just like they never placed that $37 bid.

Now, right before the auction ends, they use a 3rd account and put in a bid of $34 because they know that you are at $35 and they will automatically be outbid.

I have heard of sellers doing this, I don't know how true it is, but it seems possible to me and that is what I thought of when I read your post.

That is quite shady if people do this. They should be found out and banned, but will ebay ever take action? Probably not unless it is on almost every auction from a seller.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tn-dave » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:43 am

NHsorter wrote:I think there are people out there with 2nd accounts and they are using the 2nd account to test how high your bid is by putting in a high bid and then cancelling right away. Then, before the auction ends, they can use a 3rd account to put in a bid just under your high bid.

Ex.

Wow, I have never thought about this -- The seller can cancel a bid without it showing up on the auction page or the 2nd account''s page as a bid retraction right.?

I have noticed that so many of my wins do end up close to or exactly match my max bid -- makes me want to think about using a sniping program
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tantalar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:57 am

I get a lot of emails from ebay at the end of the month. MY FAVORITE email is to remind me that I can list up to 5,000 items TOTALLY FOR FREE WITH NO LISTING FEES AT ALL! WOOT!

Then I realize OH WAIT THAT DOES NOT APPLY IF YOU HAVE A STORE! However, if you don't have a store then go right ahead and list as much as you want! I understand yeah, higher fees, whatever... bad business decision but they are free to do what they want... but I just can't stand the fact that they do this to ebay stores. WHY? It's a total kick in the nuts EVERY MONTH.

Worst part of buying something on EBAY is when they "remind" you that if you sign up for Bill Me Later, then they will give you some lame bonus. No matter HOW MANY TIMES I tell them I have no interest whatsoever, I have to click through this inane offer.

Gee no wonder Amazon is ravaging Ebay. Collectibles are even starting to sell well on amazon.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:48 am

mr18 wrote:sounds like a lot of work to sucker some one in to a bid. I guess if Ebay is your full time thing, its worth it. NHSorter, you sure know a lot about this stuff, you sure you haven't doen this? ;)

I am just an informed consumer, not a scammer. Or maybe I am just a conspiracy theorist. If a full time seller did this a lot I bet they would get caught.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby lewbo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:53 am

The auction ended the winning bid was $36.66 crazy with the drop in silver. It does not seem to be a scam as there was a lot of interest the last 30 minutes from multiple bidders. My high bid was $30 so I got passed by long before the bidding ended.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hejira11 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:21 pm

I had that happen last night. I was high bidder on a1996 2oz kook. My maximum bid was $115.00 plus intl shipping. I was outbid in the last few seconds and the coin sold for $117.00. Within 2 minutes I got a "Second Chance Order" the explaination was that the seller had more than one 1996 2oz Kook...This offer price was 117 shipped.

I don't believe in coincidence. I believe I am being played like a violin.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:37 pm

mr18 wrote:sounds like a lot of work to sucker some one in to a bid. I guess if Ebay is your full time thing, its worth it. NHSorter, you sure know a lot about this stuff, you sure you haven't doen this? ;)

It's freakin' easy to register a dummy account on eBay. I have 5 of them, only because when I get to the $10,000 Paypal spending limit on one, I dump it for a new one. I mostly pay with eBay gift cards, and use a prepaid gift CC to register.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 am

hejira11 wrote:I had that happen last night. I was high bidder on a1996 2oz kook. My maximum bid was $115.00 plus intl shipping. I was outbid in the last few seconds and the coin sold for $117.00. Within 2 minutes I got a "Second Chance Order" the explaination was that the seller had more than one 1996 2oz Kook...This offer price was 117 shipped.

I don't believe in coincidence. I believe I am being played like a violin.

They would have to pay fees on 2 auctions though, so he probably did have 2 an was not running up the bidding. The fees for a 2b auction are a lot more than a few extra bucks on your bid. I have done 2nd chance offers on stuff that I had multiples of. Especially when the bidding gets crazy (25th anniv sets)
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Many scams and shill bidding on Feebay. If possible, support your local coin store instead. Don't waste time on Feebay.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby hejira11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 pm

[quote="NHsorter They would have to pay fees on 2 auctions though, so he probably did have 2 an was not running up the bidding. The fees for a 2b auction are a lot more than a few extra bucks on your bid. I have done 2nd chance offers on stuff that I had multiples of. Especially when the bidding gets crazy (25th anniv sets)[/quote]

That makes sense. Thanks NH.

Pennyhorder, I try to use my LCD- I learned that on here. But, they are best for my silver stack. My 'collection' of Kooks almost need to be gotten wherever I can find them.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I have tried to buy from my LCS. The problem is that they are over priced and then I get the privelige of paying 8.25% sales tax on top of that. It makes it hard to make any money if you start 20%+ in the hole.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby nero12345 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm

kidman232 wrote:sounds like they were bidding up their own auction and accidently won, so they now offer it to u

i agree with this. this happens all the time. Ebay should be trending sales by sellers to search for this.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby getdong » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:37 am

lewbo wrote:I got a interesting email from Ebay today. I had bid on a ASE on the 26th, but got outbid within 1 hour. The email says I am now the high bidder as the other bid had been retracted. I looked at the reason and it said "entered wrong amount" the bid was for $37. Looks like folks are getting out of their bids now that silver has fallen. I will be happy if I win at what I bid as ASE still carry a premium to spot in my opinion.

This has been happennign to me more and more lately. I find it hard to believe all these people are entering wrong bid amounts. What I think is happenning is shill bidding for those you who dont know what that is some idiot opens a second account and bids on their own stuff driving the price up on you, maybe they go a little too high and get that you are the highest bidder message so they cancel that bid to just below your highest bid. They dont have to buy their own product and they ran you up $15 or something like that on something you could have got for $15 cheaper. I have been noticing this alot more. Makes it hard to tell for buyers as well. In the past you could see who the bidder was now I if I remember correctly we just see something like 34858CJ* or some random generated thing.
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals