The weight of coin and fuel mileage

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: The weight of coin and fuel mileage

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 pm

For every 100 pounds equals 1/10th of a second if your running the quarter mile.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm currently getting approx 10.1 mi/gal in my escalade. At that rate, any decline due to load is negligible since its already close to zero!

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 am

thedrifter wrote:I don't understand the Jethro Tull references? I like the band and the song, but???

They started after Auqalung48 posted.

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 am

Another bit of physics to consider is the stiffness of your suspension in relation to how much the vehicle bounces.

The suspension on my truck is stiff as hades without a load, but it rides pretty nice with the equivalent of $40-50K in dimes to weigh it down. Over the course of about 10 cross country trips, I've managed to get slightly better mileage carrying a 3/4-1 ton than I do running empty. It could be due to the smoother ride, the rear end squatting down to level with the front end, or a combination of both.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals