America the Beautiful 5 oz Coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

America the Beautiful 5 oz Coins

Postby mbailey1234 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:54 pm

I have some 2010 ATB 5 oz silvers some graded by PCGS and some just in plastic protectors. Most are BU quality with a few MS-69. I was considering trading a few for some gold eagles a while back and checked with 3 different LCS's. Was surprised that they only offered me spot + like $15. All three said the same thing that they weren't going over very well and there were bunches of them at the coin show that no one was buying.

I had considered getting the rest of mine graded since they were selling for around $230 on ebay. Now after talking to the LCS's I'm not so sure.

Anyone got any opinions on these coins for the future? Will they catch on or will they just be trading at spot in 5 - 10 years?
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: America the Beautiful 5 oz Coins

Postby Chief » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:04 pm

I am also curious to hear people's opinions on those silver hockey pucks. I bought the first three and flipped them quick on ebay. Did well on the first, okay on the second and broke even on the third. That was the end of that.
Weren't the 2010's a much lower mintage than the 2011's and so on? I'd expect them to be worth a bit more than spot, but it might be a while until they are worth more than the $285 (if I remember correctly) that they were sold at.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mnymgr1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:05 pm

no clue about the future of these. I bought and sold 10 sets of these when they came out, was great when you got them under spot.
while there were only 33k of the first 5 coins, not so sure they will be the collectible everyone thought.
Like me, think people want only certain grades and if they don't get them, they move on.

I am looking for PCGS ms68 dmpl's and offer $180 each shipped, or $7 over spot shipped, whichever is less.
I'm looking at putting together set #2 for kid #2. I also don't have any coins at that grade for the 2011 edition, coins 6-10. So looking for 2 of each coins from that year.

good luck.
mnymgr1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:23 pm

I like them strictly as bullion coins, and even then I'm only getting a few of the designs I really like (which isn't many). I've only bought them ungraded for about the same premium as ASEs. As far as a numismatic investment goes, I don't see them doing much, but it's hard to tell what people are going to be collecting 5, 10, 20, 50 years from now.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:39 pm

I suspect they'll end up going a route similar to the first spouse gold coins...very popular at first, selling out fast and then demand drops off fast. The early ones thought to be rare at first will end up common with no premium to spot, and the ones a couple of years later will be the low mintage ones that end up doing well.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:53 pm

So if I'm reading between the lines correctly, may be a good time to sell them for $230 and up on ebay and buy some rounds with the cash?? I have over spot in them but I would come out smelling like a rose at $200 +.

Figured I would hold em for the long haul but if 3 different LCS's are all saying the same thing about demand being dead, then that get's my attention.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:26 am

As soon as (or if) spot gets to 40 bucks, Im gonna sell mine ..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PeacePeople » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:19 am

If I'm reading this right, you bought them to flip them and it didn't work out in the short term. From what I've seen the only ones that really did work as quick flip material were the 2010 bullion sets, and that didn't last too long. I've also read that the Chickesaw bullion coin has a lower mintage than the 2010's (unverified by me) and that should tell you that they're slow as molasses in January on Mt McKinley. However, if you were buying the 2011's when there were very few ASE available they premium on the ATBs was less than the ASE, so it was a cheaper way to stack, at the time, and now it's about even. Now you probably have more questions than answers to your original question. My thoughts are it's a cheap way to stack govt issue Ag in a form larger than 1oz. You just have to get over the fact that they're marked $.25. :lol:
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 am

The whole $0.25 thing doesn't bother me but I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old that would sure like to get them out of the PCGS container and play with em! Not to mention, my wife said it would be cool to go up to the coffee shop, buy a couple of lotto tickets and sit down and scratch them off with a 5 oz silver coin! 8-)
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:54 am

Ill trade you a raw one for one of those ms-69s... :D
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PeacePeople » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 am

In the end I look at them as stacking material, not flipping material. The 2010's were flipping material right out of the gate, now they're not because demand has tapered. You can buy them for at or less than ASE premiums, so why not? Silver is silver, the premium paid is air, so why not buy and stack govt issue Ag at the lower premiums? To me it's a no brainer, plus mintages of nil compared to ASE.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hejira11 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:40 pm

PeacePeople wrote:In the end I look at them as stacking material, not flipping material. The 2010's were flipping material right out of the gate, now they're not because demand has tapered. You can buy them for at or less than ASE premiums, so why not? Silver is silver, the premium paid is air, so why not buy and stack govt issue Ag at the lower premiums? To me it's a no brainer, plus mintages of nil compared to ASE.

+1
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:22 pm

I think there's just too many different issues, coming out over such a long period of time, and not enough universal appeal. Strong local appeal, I'd like to have one, but the only one I really want comes out in 2016. Its the place I grew up hiking around in. For any of the others, I'd buy at about the same premium as eagles. It seems to me most of the numibullion guys have their heads and hands in lunar right now, but that could change in the future.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PeacePeople » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 am

Well, look at it this way. If the US mint relaeases 5 per year and you can rationalize 25ozs of these per year, you're in. I only have 2 of each, but in 1 years time that's 100 ounces of Ag, and in 2012 I only have to fork over for 50oz to maintain pace. In 100% serious honesty, that's nothing to sneeze at.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals