Ebay shutting down "replica" coins 2/20

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ebay shutting down "replica" coins 2/20

Postby cuag » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:27 pm

I got this email today. I'm guessing there is going to be a flood of junk hitting the bay before this goes into effect:

The eBay marketplace for coin collecting is vibrant. Buyers and sellers alike enjoy access to both a great selection and a highly engaged community. Customers within the Coins & Paper Money category have told us that the ability to shop and sell confidently on eBay is an important factor for them.

Based on this feedback, and after closely reviewing the coin experience on eBay, we have decided to update eBay's Stamps, currency, and coins policy to disallow replica coin listings on eBay.com, effective February 20. Any replica coin listings on eBay on February 20 will be allowed to end normally.

This update reflects standards across the coin industry and helps ensure compliance with applicable laws that require replica coins to be permanently marked with the word "copy." We also expect that this update will increase marketplace confidence by letting our community know that coin listings on eBay are authentic, so they'll receive the most positive eBay experience possible.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,

The eBay Seller Team
cuag

Re: Ebay shutting down "replica" coins 2/20

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Now if they'd just do something about silver plated bars and rounds that aren't marked as silver plated.

Skeptical Hippo’s confidence (or lack thereof) is unchanged.

"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Not sure what to think of this. Are they saying you can still sell replica's if they are marked "copy"?
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Great move, but how well will it be enforced...
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DuckTales253 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:07 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:Not sure what to think of this. Are they saying you can still sell replica's if they are marked "copy"?

It sounds like all replica coins will be disallowed, even those marked COPY. The last sentence seems to indicate their goal is that customers can shop on eBay knowing that all coins are authentic, as eBay does not allow replicas to be sold.

Great move, but how well will it be enforced...

I'm sure the word "replica" or "copy" will be filtered from any listings in these categories.
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:11 pm

From older post note the coin I got was not marked copy!
See--http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8693&hilit=+1909
Franklin said he would not sort until he got a 1909-S VDB see-- http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8457&hilit=+1909 It came in and guess were it dropped in the sorter? Also it look like the the US post and China have a joint service

Also the Ebay listing photo shows copy stamped on the 1909-S VDB copy and the one we got does not have that stamp! :D
Snapz%20Pro%20XScreenSnapz010.jpg
Snapz%20Pro%20XScreenSnapz010.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Last edited by henrysmedford on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:12 pm

What about the 1 oz rounds that replicate older coins that are stamped "copy".
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Actually, according to the guidelines linked in the announcement from eBay, it seems replica coins, currency, and stamps are allowed as long as they are properly marked and sized.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html

I wonder if this is current or will change after February 20?
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cuag » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 pm

I have a feeling that the people who create and enforce eBays policies as they relate to coins and bullion actually know nothing about either. I get tired of these Chinese junk listings clogging up the auctions, but I don't foresee them successfully enforcing this. I'm not an advocate of the "suprise roll of halves found grandpa's safe" auction, but at least people buying "copy" coins know what they are getting instead of paying 3x face for a hope and a dream with a roll of clad disappointment. Ebay has no rules against the suprise roll scam. I think eBay is doing all they can to make the process so exhausting and expensive that the little guys stop selling and we are left with a world of Power Sellers. Maybe SOPA and PIPA has them nervous?
cuag

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 am

cuag wrote:Maybe SOPA and PIPA has them nervous?

SOPA/PIPA only would make their sites harder to navigate and enforce. Imagine if SOPA did come online; they'd probably go bankrupt in both removing offending auctions AND the lost revenue from said auctions!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:34 am

cuag, i completely agree. nice name btw.

i actually like the replica coins. i have bought a bunch of them as decoys.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SteelCityCopper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 am

This is going to have the same effect as more strict gun laws. The law abiding citizens get the vise of regulation tightened down on them with more restrictions and the law breakers continue to break the law as they always have. I'm sure folks are selling fakes on eBay right now and not listing them as replicas (nor do the coins have "copy" on them). Do you think they'll stop? How is eBay going to know they are fake garbage or anyone else for that matter until they get them in the mail?

What a joke
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals