my first silver coin!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

my first silver coin!

Postby madman326 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 pm

noobie here thats has been hoarding pennies for about 2 months now. just finished going through my parents change jar and i pulled out a 1968 canadian quarter. think im going to the bank tomorrow and trying out a box of dimes. time to add silver to my vice list!
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Re: my first silver coin!

Postby lewbo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Congrats! I found my first two silver coins in the week after 4 years.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Very nice finding a Silver Quarter

They are the hardest silver to find by far!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Make sure a magnet doesn't stick to it. Not all of the 1968's are silver.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Soon enough, and you'll PURCHASE your first silver
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Soon enough, and you'll PURCHASE your first silver

and if you demonstrate a weakness for codependency, Michael will be happy to enable you :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 am

beauanderos wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:Soon enough, and you'll PURCHASE your first silver

and if you demonstrate a weakness for codependency, Michael will be happy to enable you :lol:

The sword is more easily thrust than it is drawn :D
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby madman326 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:23 am

no sword thrustin here, just out for silver! :lol:
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:29 am

Welcome! I'd HIGHLY suggest looking into the sorting of halves! The payout is MUCH higher and, on average from what I can tell both from experience and from research, the percentages are MUCH better! I started around this time last year searching. I'm up to around $200 face. That would be A LOT of dimes! I have searched dimes... only found 3 thus far. Anyhow... happy hunting! Best-o-luck on whatever denomination vice you choose to feed! ;)
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 am

Congrats :D
Sort dimes myself amd really enjoy doing it. I average 1 or 2 a box but be ready to go thru a DRY spell occassionally.
See my post about from earlier this week. Went through a box thursday and got skunked :cry:

Chris
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tedandcam » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:01 am

Pennybug wrote:Welcome! I'd HIGHLY suggest looking into the sorting of halves! The payout is MUCH higher and, on average from what I can tell both from experience and from research, the percentages are MUCH better! I started around this time last year searching. I'm up to around $200 face. That would be A LOT of dimes! I have searched dimes... only found 3 thus far. Anyhow... happy hunting! Best-o-luck on whatever denomination vice you choose to feed! ;)

I have been searching for about 3-4 months now and got skunked on 3 boxes of halves (all from one pick up). On dimes i ve had reasonable success but, would rather have the halves. How many $ of halves have you searched to get that $200 face? I am motivated to search more halves by your success.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:45 pm

tedandcam wrote:
Pennybug wrote:Welcome! I'd HIGHLY suggest looking into the sorting of halves! The payout is MUCH higher and, on average from what I can tell both from experience and from research, the percentages are MUCH better! I started around this time last year searching. I'm up to around $200 face. That would be A LOT of dimes! I have searched dimes... only found 3 thus far. Anyhow... happy hunting! Best-o-luck on whatever denomination vice you choose to feed! ;)

I have been searching for about 3-4 months now and got skunked on 3 boxes of halves (all from one pick up). On dimes i ve had reasonable success but, would rather have the halves. How many $ of halves have you searched to get that $200 face? I am motivated to search more halves by your success.

Minimal. I probably search about $200 a month and I find about $1 to $5 a month. That keeps me going along. As for right now... that's my 2nd MAJOR score. I'm averaging a GOOD PAYOUT score about once every 6 months and would be about once every 3 if I were a little more persistant about it. The secret is not in quantity... but quality. I don't look through boxes AT ALL. I ONLY search CWR's (customer wrapped rolls). If I'm going to spend the time to search bank wrapped stuff... I ONLY search pennies at that point since there is a decent payout. I kinda feel bad for all the folks on here searching though $1000's in halves and never finding any (or finding very fiew). I'd wager my %'s against ANY box searcher and could GUARANTEE that my finds are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher with MUCH less effort!

FYI... This is NOT my idea! I learned this on this website! The ones doing this are almost ALWAYS the big hitters (with a few exceptions). It does requre a certain "finesse" and skill on how to do this effectively. Time will only teach you that.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby PADFH » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Do you search fed wrapped halves?

I've been mostly searching CWR of nickles, dimes, halves. Halves are hard to get in quantity and I've found nothing. I'm averaging probably one silver dime in every 20 rolls and a bit worse than that on silver war nicks. Just started here in the last few months. I don't bother with quarters, but I did find my first one in a back coin counter return tray. Also found some silver dimes there. I'm glad people don't check :).

Someone also mentioned on some coin counters you can manually check the magnet tray. Has anyone done this, and if so, can you point me to how?
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals