POLL: have you ever found a silver dollar?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Have you ever found a silver dollar?

YES - 90% silver
24%
YES - but only 40% Ikes
7%
NO - never been that lucky
69%

Total votes : 75

Re: POLL: have you ever found a silver dollar?

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:02 pm

I clean out estates, and found a scrapbook last year that had all kinds of ticket stubs, movie programs etc.. in the middle there was a peace dollar taped to one of the pages!
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby zerocd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm

When I was six be could just get them at any bank only we could not afford to buy and hold them. (by the time I could, they were long gone)

Dad was a magician and halves were his coin and he only kept 40 in his top dresser drawer.

Grandmother passed many silver dollars to us and they were treasured as heirlooms. (60 total) Morgans are tantalizing.

I remember our milkman used them to make change of a five. (he was our eggman too)

Ten years later we would get them now and then, and keep them.

Today:

I recently snagged one "peace" found in 60 Ikes a teller was holding.

Last year I got two Morgans, the person before me at the teller had just deposited them so I instantly asked for them and bought them.

I didn't allow the teller to think.

Found about 25 Ikes plus two silver proofs (probably all 40% not sure about silver proofs)

Have found them in TD "Penny Arcade" machines (counters that cannot take large dollars)

Fun to find, you gotta be aware.

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 4 bit » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:48 pm

I got another blue Ike at a bank today. After a two month silver dollar drought, I've found a Peace dollar and three blue Ikes in a span of less than two weeks. I've still yet to find a 1972 type 2 reverse, a 1973, or a 1973D, though.
4 bit
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals