A Curious 50 Peso Counterfeit

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A Curious 50 Peso Counterfeit

Postby Devil Soundwave » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Hey guys,

A while back I had a bit of an admittedly unlikely win by bidding on a very dirty coin on eBay. It was badly listed, simply as Peso Coin, thus seemed to fly under the radar of other buyers and I won it for a lowly £6, which is about $10.00.

Yes, It was a 50 Peso Coin! Thankfully I was skeptical before it arrived and didn't get too excited, as there are a number of issues with it.

I have since cleaned it up and here are my findings:

Lustre and shine:
Vibrant. Could be gold for all I know.

Diameter: 37.04 mm actual / reference states 36.00 mm

Thickness:
2.75mm actual / no reference available

Edge: Inscribed off centre "Indepencia Y Libertad"

Weight: 22.3g actual / reference states 41.61g, with a gold content of 37.5g

Reference I am using is the Chard website: http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/mexican50pesos.html

So in summary, obviously this is a counterfeit.

Now here is where I get confused - searching around the web, I see it is common for some of the counterfeits of this coin to actually have gold content. It is not marked anywhere with replica or anything, so is obviously intended to fool people as the real thing.

This reckons a counterfeit of similar weight had gold: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4708

Comments?

How can I test to see if it has gold content beyond dipping the bugger in acid? I don't have, nor can I afford one of those fancy electronic testing things. Ideally, if it has *any* value, I'd want to sell if for melt and use the cash for some silver.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: A Curious 50 Peso Counterfeit

Postby jasmatk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 pm

take it to a jewelry store or coin shop and have them test it they might charge a small fee but its cheper than the 5 bills for a tester
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: A Curious 50 Peso Counterfeit

Postby Devil Soundwave » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Good thinking! This had not occured to me, but admittedly I find the few coin shops in London quite intimidating.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals