Life is like a roll of halves

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Life is like a roll of halves

Postby dan53 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:03 pm

You never know what you gonna git. Its been slim pickens this week. Two boxes of halves on tuesday = 1 forty. Two boxes of halves on wednesday = 1 forty. Two boxes of halves on thursday = 1 forty. Thursday at one of my dump banks, I made a request for loose halves = 2 forties. Current inventory to be sorted.....8 rolls of cwr dimes and 19 rolls of cwr halves. The mention of cwr's brings me to a point. The point whereby you never know what you gonna get. For instance, I ask the teller.....Do you have any rolls of dimes or halves that a customer has bought in that you would like to get rid of? I used to assume that I would have a good chance of getting rolls of coins that were not "exposed" to the teller. If finally dawned on me that a lot of people bring in their change that isn't enough to roll and cash it out for paper. The coins are seen by the teller and placed in their tray. During idle time, they roll them up and when I come in and ask.....Do you have any rolls of coins that customers have bought in that you would like to get rid of? I get picked over coins. I know we have to take our chances....I just like examining all the variables. What about you guys?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Life is like a roll of halves

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Worst start ever... I just found my first half.. Don't even ask how many boxes. On the bright side of things I passed the sorting bug to a coworkers retired dad.. He's doing good and getting the hang of things..
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals