hit up almost every bank in town today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

hit up almost every bank in town today

Postby lance » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Which is close to 15 banks....and only found 2 40% jfks...better than none i guess...maybe next time i will call around to banks before wasting gas and time
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: hit up almost every bank in town today

Postby NHsorter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Did you at least get a bunch of pennies to sort while you were at all those banks?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:42 pm

I got a bag and a box...$75 worth...should be plenty for this week since i hand sort.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby ZenOps » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:34 pm

This is one of those things that you do have to weigh the cost of gas if you have to go out of your way to do it.

If its just a matter of picking up a box on a normal route anyhow, no biggie. But every barrel of oil is 68.5 pounds of copper in my mind, so if you are burning unecessary oil to hunt down a single piece of silver that takes an hour to sort through - it might be time to just work for the silvers and coppers and buy them.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby lance » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Right...well after this first time experience i had today...in terms of spending 2 hours going bank to bank lol...i think i will either just start callin banks or i will just grab half rolls at my bank where i get my bags of pennies...
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby dan53 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 am

I use the phone alot. Sometimes I plan a trip involving 3-4 towns. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby lance » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:55 am

What exactly do you ask when you call? For rolls or imparticular loose coins?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:50 am

lance wrote:Which is close to 15 banks....and only found 2 40% jfks...better than none i guess...maybe next time i will call around to banks before wasting gas and time

Admirable, but I don't know how those two 40%'s justify all that wasted time, gas and effort. The days of finding 90%'s are just about finished. Cu pennies is a much better time investment, especially when using a sorter.

You're better off taking all the cash you're using to acquire the halves, go to the local coin store and buy 90% halves. Silver is still very cheap. Buy as much as you can now while it's still readily available.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Yah i have spent plenty of cash buying silver at spot price and higher...i just wanna start finding it for a good deal...the other day was a learning experience...i will never do that again...a little bit ago i called a local credit union...and they said they had around 700 halfs in their machine...so i went and got them and came across 6 40s...no 90s but decent find i think.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals