How to tell half silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How to tell half silver?

Postby Prince By-Tor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:12 am

Hay guys im in canada and half dimes are easy because there not magnetic but for quarters i cant figger out any way to tell a half silver one from a non silver as eather way there magnetic
The only way i know of is with a scale whitch i dont got so can someone plz help me out with this one? Thx
Prince By-Tor

Re: How to tell half silver?

Postby tractorman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:19 am

Are you talking about Canadian silver change in composition around 1967-68? I'm not an expert by any means, but I remember this topic being discussed before. I'll see if I can find the link.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:23 am

tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:39 am

Prince By-Tor wrote:Hay guys im in canada and half dimes are easy because there not magnetic but for quarters i cant figger out any way to tell a half silver one from a non silver as eather way there magnetic
The only way i know of is with a scale whitch i dont got so can someone plz help me out with this one? Thx

Silver coins (Canadian or otherwise) are not magnetic. Non-silver canadian dimes and quarters whether they are nickel (pre-2000) or steel (2000 and later) are both attracted to magnets.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Prince By-Tor » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:30 am

Must of had some bad info i read i forget where maby yahoo answers that it was half steel i think they said and so u have to weigh it to tell
Looking elts where its says its copper so ya non magnetic
Thx
Prince By-Tor

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:17 am

Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals