making metal

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

making metal

Postby scyther » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but it's one I've had for quite a while, so please be patient.

Are synthetic gold and silver a threat to real gold and silver prices? I know it's possible to make gold at least; I think it's possible to artificially create any element, right? At this time I believe it costs far too much to be profitable, but costs always go down eventually... do you think artificially created precious metals will destroy the precious metals market any time soon or ever?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: making metal

Postby Gamecock » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 pm

I've been wondering the same thing
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 pm

It won't happen until energy is nearly limitless and free.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Engineer wrote:It won't happen until energy is nearly limitless and free.

^
This.

The energy costs required to synthetically make gold are vastly more expensive than the value of gold at the moment.

"Synthesis of noble metals requires either a nuclear reactor or a particle accelerator. Particle accelerators use huge amounts of energy, while nuclear reactors produce energy, so only methods utilizing a nuclear reactor are of economic interest." -Good Old Wikipedia.

I don't know how high gold prices would have to be for it to be worth it, but I think it's astronomically higher than it is currently.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:36 am

If gold prices got high enough in today's terms to make to make it worthwhile in today's terms, then all things being equal (which of course we know they're not!), I've got to believe that the conditions which drive the price up that high will have had a similar effect on energy prices, thus making it still a losing proposition.

Yeah, I know--what I just typed sounds about as clear as mud to me too!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Kurr » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:43 am

There are at least two to three ways to create perfect synthetic diamonds in a lab, doesn't seem to hurt their market and it's very limited.

There are new uses for PMs coming out everyday because there is no substitute for their electrical, chemical, photosynthsomething, and catalytic properties.

I believe if you could create a synthetic gold, silver, platinum, etc then the uses for it would still far out weigh our ability to produce, creating the demand to keep the markets up or at least similiar to a way we see now.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:53 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:If gold prices got high enough in today's terms to make to make it worthwhile in today's terms, then all things being equal (which of course we know they're not!), I've got to believe that the conditions which drive the price up that high will have had a similar effect on energy prices, thus making it still a losing proposition.

Yeah, I know--what I just typed sounds about as clear as mud to me too!

I get what you're saying. That's actually a valid point. I hadn't thought of that.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:54 pm

Kurr wrote:There are at least two to three ways to create perfect synthetic diamonds in a lab, doesn't seem to hurt their market and it's very limited.

There are new uses for PMs coming out everyday because there is no substitute for their electrical, chemical, photosynthsomething, and catalytic properties.

I believe if you could create a synthetic gold, silver, platinum, etc then the uses for it would still far out weigh our ability to produce, creating the demand to keep the markets up or at least similiar to a way we see now.

Synthesizing diamonds is just rearranging existing carbon atoms into a different type of molecule. Synthesizing atoms is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Speaking of carbon though, there's a chance that large scale production of carbon nanotubes could affect the silver market to an extent.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:08 pm

Kurr wrote:There are at least two to three ways to create perfect synthetic diamonds in a lab, doesn't seem to hurt their market and it's very limited.

Aren't most (if not all) Synthetic Diamonds used in industrial applications rather than stuck on some woman's finger at a jewelry shop?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:31 pm

cesariojpn wrote:

Aren't most (if not all) Synthetic Diamonds used in industrial applications rather than stuck on some woman's finger at a jewelry shop?

Not sure, but there's an important difference there: synthetic diamonds are actually more "perfect" than real ones. So you can tell them apart. But artificially created gold is "real". It may be indistinguishable from natural gold. And even if you could tell it apart by the lack of impurities, you could just mix it in with natural gold.

Well, hopefully it doesn't become feasible any time soon... that could be bad.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:48 pm

It would open a new can of worms and make it possible to go back to the gold standard
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby oktyabyr » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:03 pm

cesariojpn wrote:

A lot are, however they are perfectly fine to sell. Reputable shops will disclose, as they are required to disclose that they are synthetic. But you get your questionable ones out there that won't care.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals