Pawn Shop Deal (Steal)

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pawn Shop Deal (Steal)

Postby m21221 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:44 pm

So I've been bugging the local pawn shop to sell me their 90% silver when they get it and they always take my number and say they will call. They continually tell me they don't get much and always send it in to the scrapper for melting. I went in yesterday (5th time the last several months) and the manager takes my number again and I'm sure he tosses it after I leave. Wrong, I get a call today and he tells me he just got some quarters and dimes in and it will cost me $210. I don't want to press him on the face value and decide I'll go take look. I get there and total up the face and it's an even $11.00! Not only that but there are 37 Mercury dimes many of which look AU. I hand over the $210 fiat and walk out with 7.95 ounces of silver (that's $26.41 an ounce). BTW I asked him how he figured out the price and he tells me it's a formula that corporate uses. Moral of the story...persistence persistence persistence.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Pawn Shop Deal (Steal)

Postby barrytrot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Other moral: Even ma and pa "pawn shops" are now run by large corporations.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Another moral: selling your silver to a pawn shop will result in being ripped off. Amazing.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby m21221 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:30 am

Agree & agree...learn to play their game and profit. Bottom line for me is to have my hands in as many pots as possible. Sorting copper from the bank, pawn shops, craigslist, ebay etc. I go through long dry spells as far killer deals in one or more of the a for mentioned but never all of them. Cheers!
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals