Silver price direction mirrors US Base Money Supply

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver price direction mirrors US Base Money Supply

Postby 97guns » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:13 am

This graph I created appears to show that since QE2 ended, the price of silver has quite closely tracked the increase/decrease in the US base money supply. When the money supply heads up, POS goes up. When the money supply goes down, POS goes down.

This suggests that any hint of further money injections from the Fed is bullish for silver. You can follow the US money supply figures published biweekly at http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/BASE.

Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver price direction mirrors US Base Money Supply

Postby Chief » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:49 am

Quite interesting and makes sense to me. We cannot keep printing/spending money and not see a significant rise in PM prices.
House o' Cards.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:32 am

Interesting graph. I would be more interested in it if it tracked for years instead of months, or it correlated with other types of money supply. The larger measure of money supply continues to increase - especially government spending, which isn't tracked here - though at the private consumer level it may well be locally decreasing.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby My2Cents » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 pm

68Camaro wrote:Interesting graph. I would be more interested in it if it tracked for years instead of months, or it correlated with other types of money supply. The larger measure of money supply continues to increase - especially government spending, which isn't tracked here - though at the private consumer level it may well be locally decreasing.

Agreed... track it for a longer period of time so as to lend credibility to the theory. What happened to the money supply when silver took that huge fall from $49?
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals