Selling ASEs or Ampex rounds?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Selling ASEs or Ampex rounds?

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:48 pm

My strategy for my hoard has always buy and hold until TSHTF. I went away for the holiday weekend and when I got home, the house was only 58F and the furnace is kaput. It is possibly repairable for around $600. A new natural gas furnace is around $2000 to $2500 installed.

If I get it repaired, I can manage that without selling any silver. If its replaced, I need to decide whether to sell some of my shiny, new 2008 or 2009 Eagles, or some uncirculated Ampex rounds. I think it may not be a good idea to sell any of the US or CA junk coins, but I'm not sure about that either.

How does one decide the best hierarchy of selling the types of silver bullion and coin? Thanks!
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Selling ASEs or Ampex rounds?

Postby Devil Soundwave » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:03 pm

The Eagles are guaranteed by government. Sell Apmex.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Least pure first. War Nickels, Canadian then Junk 90%. Keep your .999 if you can.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JJM » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 pm

If you're worried about TSHTF, sell the APMEX rounds first, and your smaller 90% "junk" silver last.

Gov't promises aren't worth the ink they're printed with....lol.

War nix might not be as "worthy" now, but they will become much more so if TSHTF.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Thank you for all the advice. Looks like it is going to cost $2500 to install a 95% efficient furnace. I guess the good news is I can take a tax credit for 30% of that, about $750.

If I can't sell the Ag locally or to a friend, I'll post an ad here soon.

Cheers!
Greg
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby audinut » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm

If you think it's possible you may want to consider pawning them or using them as collateral on a loan.
audinut

Postby Pachucko » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Do you have any 1/2 oz APMEX rounds?
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:18 pm

A friend has agreed to loan me the cash, with the Ag as security on the loan. I'm glad I will get to keep the little AG I have for future need.

Thank you to all who replied with good advice.

It seemed like an interesting question to ask, in what order should the different kinds of Ag be sold? Thanks again.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals