War nickels

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

War nickels

Postby appjoe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:18 am

I'm looking for opinions on war nickels. I have a chance to buy some for $1.00 a piece. I know they are 35% silver and melt is around $1.50. Should I buy them or pick up 90% ers at $18 - $20.00 per $1.00 face. Last Sunday I was able to get Walkers at $8.50 ea. and Morgans at $20.00 ea. You never know what this guys 90%ers are going to be but his war nickels are always $1.00 ea.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: War nickels

Postby TXBullion » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:20 am

Id say take it all if you can. I think that you could probably flip the war nicks and make a few bucks if you wanted to or pass and let someone else scopp them up. 8.50 is s good deal
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:30 am

buy every last one.

BTW mailing your coin today.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 999Ni » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:12 pm

thats a good deal for war nix. buy 'em all b4 its too late!
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby stateofmind » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:04 am

Good for war nicks, you can sell them for more on eBay. But as in hoarding, war nicks are bad because of the high manganese content. Let the suckers buy the nicks on eBay and buy real silver coinage - 90%.
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 999Ni » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:49 am

just because they are high in manganese, doesn't make them a bad investment. Realistically what's gonna happen? Are you gonna take them to a smelter and have the silver separated OR are you just gonna sell them down the road on ebay, craigslist, whatever, for the silver melt value. the latter i think.
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby appjoe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Well I went to the flea market today and his War nickels were $1.25 so I passed on them. I picked up 4 Franklin Halves at $8.50 ea. and a VF 1880 O Morgan Dollar for $20.00 I think I got a good deal for the Franklins and the Morgan dollar.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:50 pm

appjoe wrote:Well I went to the flea market today and his War nickels were $1.25 so I passed on them. I picked up 4 Franklin Halves at $8.50 ea. and a VF 1880 O Morgan Dollar for $20.00 I think I got a good deal for the Franklins and the Morgan dollar.

I think twenty is a good/fair price on morgans. I have been trying to buy the ones I can grab for 20. I stopped in a new coin/pawn store. The guys was trying to sell very slick morgans and holed peace dollars for 22 :lol:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby stateofmind » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm

999Ni wrote:just because they are high in manganese, doesn't make them a bad investment. Realistically what's gonna happen? Are you gonna take them to a smelter and have the silver separated OR are you just gonna sell them down the road on ebay, craigslist, whatever, for the silver melt value. the latter i think.

War nickels are undesirable. This is illustrated by the ability to buy war nickels UNDER spot, usually by a large percentage. When it's time to sell, they will be looked at as the worst kind of silver to hold, as the manganese content does make a difference. It corrupts the silver content making it extremely hard to refine. As I said, If you can by them for greatly under spot, good. Sell them and buy real silver.
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aristobolus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:34 am

I have chimed iin on this in the recent past. If someone does buy these in order to sell them later, do not call them "war nickels". Instead, sell them for example as "Jefferson 35% Silver Nickels". For many, the word "war" is a turn off (BTW, I am not a utopian peacenick having served in the military). Also by putting the word "silver" in the subject line, anyone doing a search for silver coins on Ebay for instance will be directed to it. Finally, put the amount of silver in ounces per coin; that way buyers can quickly research the value of the lot you are selling.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:32 am

stateofmind wrote:
999Ni wrote:just because they are high in manganese, doesn't make them a bad investment. Realistically what's gonna happen? Are you gonna take them to a smelter and have the silver separated OR are you just gonna sell them down the road on ebay, craigslist, whatever, for the silver melt value. the latter i think.

War nickels are undesirable. This is illustrated by the ability to buy war nickels UNDER spot, usually by a large percentage. When it's time to sell, they will be looked at as the worst kind of silver to hold, as the manganese content does make a difference. It corrupts the silver content making it extremely hard to refine. As I said, If you can by them for greatly under spot, good. Sell them and buy real silver.

Trying a second time to make this post! The last post went off into cyberspace.

Most dealers will only pay about 60% of "melt value" for war nickels due to their composition. Perhaps you could find someone else to sell to in the future and maybe not. I know a lot of you think that you will be able to sell on eBay for a higher price.

HOWEVER, has anyone considered that in the future if our worst case scenario does happen, then we may not have access to eBay or other similar online markets??? Just because we have it to use now doesn't guarantee it will always be there for us.

Just something else to consider for the future.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Buy ALL of 'em...and sell to me at 1.01. :D :D :D
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals