Burying silver coins (not buying, burying like in the dirt)

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Burying silver coins (not buying, burying like in the dirt)

Postby SilverEye » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:22 pm

I want to make a small cache of silver coins in my backyard. I'm going to take a couple of my generic silver rounds and bury them, and make a treasure map and all. How do I package them for the dirt? I don't want my soil to dissolve them, and I don't know what various lawn and chemicals have been poured out there over the years.

I also don't want a mole or gopher to carry them off to their burrow. Do they pick up shiny things like crows? It's clear I have no idea about this.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Re: Burying silver coins (not buying, burying like in the di

Postby penny pretty » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:30 pm

You put them in an envelope marked PROPERTY of penny pretty, with my address. also just to help out, send me a copy of map for safekeeping! :D
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:12 am

Preppers use PVC pipe. Size to fit your needs, cap one end with a pipe cap with epoxy or other adhesive for PVC, dump yer booty, seal the other end with your adhesive and cap, and bury.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:25 am

Use PVC pipe to safeguard the items from water and soil. Enclose a small radio set to a local Country station with the antenna running topside as to get a good signal. Turn the radio on at medium volume as to extend battery life once buried but still be loud enough to be heard through the PVC by human ears. There, that should be a theft deterrent for the gophers as we all know that they can't stand country music. Next you'll need several tracker locaters for smaller silver items as moles can tolerate all music; even bluegrass will not drive these thieving little bastards away. It may be worth your time to look into their removal if they become too prevalent. Check the yellow pages and find a good dermatologist and explain your mole problem to him/her. They are often very knowledgeable and skilled at removal. As with anything, proper planning can avert many headaches. Bury your treasure only in better neighborhoods of your yard such as next to flower beds and koi pond. Steer clear of troubled low income areas such as children play areas and properties adjoining the doghouse. This isn’t everything you’ll need to know but it’s a start. Good luck.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Use PVC pipe to safeguard the items from water and soil. Enclose a small radio set to a local Country station with the antenna running topside as to get a good signal. Turn the radio on at medium volume as to extend battery life once buried but still be loud enough to be heard through the PVC by human ears. There, that should be a theft deterrent for the gophers as we all know that they can't stand country music. Next you'll need several tracker locaters for smaller silver items as moles can tolerate all music; even bluegrass will not drive these thieving little bastards away. It may be worth your time to look into their removal if they become too prevalent. Check the yellow pages and find a good dermatologist and explain your mole problem to him/her. They are often very knowledgeable and skilled at removal. As with anything, proper planning can avert many headaches. Bury your treasure only in better neighborhoods of your yard such as next to flower beds and koi pond. Steer clear of troubled low income areas such as children play areas and properties adjoining the doghouse. This isn’t everything you’ll need to know but it’s a start. Good luck.

That's some sophisticated redneck humor right there.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 am

PVC causes discoloration on silver coins. Use ammo cans wrapped in 6-mil poly.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 am

TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 pm

You can also bury them in my safe. That is if I had a safe. And what is this gold and silver bullion I am reading about. Is it as good as chicken or beef bullion? Don't ever try to eat a chicken bullion cube. My brother talked me into eating one when I was 4. It was nasty.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Anyone aware of any side effects of other pipe material types: especially ABS?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby mflugher » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I would suggest you first place the coins in some coin-safe containers/slips, then seal that in a non pvc tupperware, or plastic baggie airtight. Then it doesn't matter if the pipe is pVC...
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby jtlee321 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:56 pm

If you have a Food Saver system. Then just dump your coins into bag big enough to hold them and send it through the vacuum and seal cycle. Now you have an airtight sealed bag of silver. Drop that bag of silver into a PVC pipe. Seal both ends of it, and bury it. You now have a water proof container as well as a bag with next to no air in it. The bag will protect the silver from the PVC and the lack of air in the bag will prevent tarnish.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverEye » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:35 pm

The article linked to above says the more flexible the plastic, the more PVC it has in it. Do those food saver bags have PVC in them?
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:41 pm

slickeast

Postby slickeast » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:43 pm

slickeast

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:54 pm

I tried the burying thing a while back... cant remember if it was buffalos in the meadow, or canadian maples in the forest...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:I tried the burying thing a while back... cant remember if it was buffalos in the meadow, or canadian maples in the forest...

Wheats in the field ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby jtlee321 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:57 pm

So doing some quick research on the web. I found that the reactive part of PVC is the chlorine molecule in the PVC. Chlorine is very bad for most metals. The Food Saver bags are made of Polyethylene hence there is no Chlorine to react with the metals. Here is a quote of the differences between PVC and Polyethylene.

PVC is the polymer produced by the polymerization of vinyl chloride (H2C=CHCl).
Polyethylene is the polymer produced by the polymerization of ethylene (H2C=CH2).
Thus PVC has chlorine atoms on the polymer backbone whereas polyethylene is composed of only carbon and hydrogen.
Most paints don't adhere to polyethylene without a special surface treatment of the polyethylene (usually by plasma bombardment). Thus if you were going to paint or glue the material you would want to use PVC.

So considering that the Polyethylene is only carbon and hydrogen, which are both relatively inert when it comes to silver coins. Then I would say that the food saver bags would be a viable option to store your coins in. Then store those bags inside the PVC pipe for burring.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby jtlee321 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:I tried the burying thing a while back... cant remember if it was buffalos in the meadow, or canadian maples in the forest...

Wheats in the field ;)

Rosies in the Garden 8-)

Walkers under the sidewalk 8-)
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:00 pm

jtlee321 wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:

Wheats in the field ;)

Rosies in the Garden 8-)

Walkers under the sidewalk 8-)

Saints in the chuch yard. 8-)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby penny pretty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 pm

still waiting for treasure map! AAAR MATEY!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:50 pm

If start diggin a hole in the back yard, it might not be to good for the wife!
hobo finds

Postby RTPMarine » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:59 am

Depending on the size of your loot, you might also want to make sure it is protected from metal detectors. Shrouding it in lead should accomplish this, or burying it under a large rock or a tree.

If you really, really don't want anyone to ever go after your stash, just drop it in your septic tank :)
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverEye » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Long ago I read that the best place to bury stuff is more than 10 feet down (metal detectors can't reach more than 6-8), or right near old fence posts (there's iron in dog's urine and that will throw off detectors, you know how dogs mark territory) or simply plow scrap iron bits into your soil. I'm not worried about a metal detector. I'm not burying the hoard, just a few coins because I think it would be fun.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:50 pm

IF you can find them, the mil spec hard plastic containers for the 155 mm arty round makes a good underground cache, just make sure you you put them in rolls, taped, throw in some desscicant packages, etc...but bud, unless your in the deep weeds, rural, i wouldnt do this......suburbs? or any place where there's any people, you think you're doing something on the QT?...think again, people aint all stupid, they got eyes, a fellow digging a hole...these days? come on. there's a trick, if you got to, called hiding in plain sight, is good. but at the root of it all is OPSEC, keep your mouth shut, tell no one, except a family or a friend who meets this one crieteria, which is, if you killed somebody, who is the one person or persons, who would hide you out, no questions asked?...thats your wingman.

in short, dont bury no silver, the 155 mm arty containers are good for extra firearms and ammo, but they are super hard to find.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals