Why didn't the Mint make 40% dimes and quarters

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Why didn't the Mint make 40% dimes and quarters

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:09 am

Maybe this question has been asked and answered before.

Just was wondering about it last night when I was sorting halves.

Why did the mint make 40% silver halves from 65-70 but did not make dimes or quarters 40%?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Why didn't the Mint make 40% dimes and quarters

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:24 am

I guess what made me think of this too is that Canada had 80% up until 1967 in dimes, quarters, and halves; Why the difference with U.S. coins?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cerulean » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:03 pm

I've heard it said that the half dollar was kept at 40% silver from 1965 through 1970 so that there was some notional amount of silver still being minted for circulation. This way the government could say they didn't get rid of all the silver, and could point to the half dollar as proof.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aristobolus » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Also, it was no doubt to commemorate recently murdered President Kennedy.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby bankmining » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:12 pm

I think I read somewhere that the silver mining lobbies were able to secure a deal with the govt. to continue using some silver in coinage for several years after '64. Not sure why they picked only the half dollar or why 40%.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:29 pm

I do remember reading that a large part of it was out of respect for the murdered president.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Personally, I'm very glad dimes and quarters never become 40% silver. If they did, not only would most of them have been pulled by the time I was old enough to get in the game, but knowledge about the 40% halves would be exponentially higher. A silver-clad coin would have been infinitely more common, and so the hunt for them, when silver became highly valuable, would have been on a much wider scale.

+1 for Congress and the Mint.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:02 am

PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY LOVED SILVER

On June 4, 1963 U.S. President John F. Kennedy issued Executive Order 11110 which delegated to the Secretary of the Treasury the president's authority to issue silver certificates under the Thomas Amendment of the Agricultural Adjustment Act. The wording of this Order was: "issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury not then held for redemption of an outstanding silver certificates, to prescribe the denominations of such silver certificates, and to coin standard silver dollars and subsidiary silver currency for their redemption"

In essence Kennedy was trying to circumvent the Federal Reserve monopoly on printing our money and tried to reinstate a truly debt free currency that would directly compete with the debt based fiat money.

On November 22, 1963, barely 6 months after signing this Presidential Order, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, TX and Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson never followed through with Kennedy's Presidential Order. In 1965 then President Johnson signed a bill to end all Silver coinage in the United States and thus JFK's dream of an open and honest US currency died with him.

Yes, President John F. Kennedy LOVED SILVER!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby sdmarasso » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:37 am

Somebody reads roadtoroota.com
sdmarasso

Postby Joogaler » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:32 am

aristobolus wrote:PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY LOVED SILVER

On June 4, 1963 U.S. President John F. Kennedy issued Executive Order 11110 which delegated to the Secretary of the Treasury the president's authority to issue silver certificates under the Thomas Amendment of the Agricultural Adjustment Act. The wording of this Order was: "issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury not then held for redemption of an outstanding silver certificates, to prescribe the denominations of such silver certificates, and to coin standard silver dollars and subsidiary silver currency for their redemption"

In essence Kennedy was trying to circumvent the Federal Reserve monopoly on printing our money and tried to reinstate a truly debt free currency that would directly compete with the debt based fiat money.

On November 22, 1963, barely 6 months after signing this Presidential Order, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, TX and Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson never followed through with Kennedy's Presidential Order. In 1965 then President Johnson signed a bill to end all Silver coinage in the United States and thus JFK's dream of an open and honest US currency died with him.

Yes, President John F. Kennedy LOVED SILVER!

I believe this is the main reason he was assassinated. Most people seem to think it was the war, but don't you think the bankers wanted him dead?

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals