69 piece silver plated Rogers Brothers flatware at yard sale

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

69 piece silver plated Rogers Brothers flatware at yard sale

Postby Pennysaved » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:58 am

Just thought it was funny I ran into a silver plated flatware set when we were talking about the benefits of eating off of sterling silver or silver plated flatware.

I went to a yard sale today and the saw a bunch of old spoons and forks and looked at them; unfortunately not sterling.

I asked the lady how much she wanted and she said $20 for the entire set; she said her grandmother had recently died and she had no use for it

She said she just wanted to get rid of it so to make her an offer.

I offered her $15 and she accepted; she also threw in a set of brass napkin holders and a small wooden budha I was looking at haha

I know pattern is everything but figured this set was pretty old and $15 was a pretty good deal.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 69 piece silver plated Rogers Brothers flatware at yard

Postby justoneguy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:06 pm

What's funny is that i ran into a 69 piece rogers flatware set at an estate sale this week-end too !
but they wanted $220 at this sale :shock:
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Congrats, Pennysaved

As the old saying goes "silver is silver"!

Plated silver is better than no silver. My wife and daughter both like the feel/taste of silver in their mouths at dinner.

Keep looking for Sterling at garage sales. Be bold and ask if they have any they would like to sell. You will find it.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote: My wife and daughter both like the feel/taste of silver in their mouths at dinner.

Guess you don't need to worry about full moons at your household? Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ScottyTX » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:24 pm

ha was scanning resale shops today for silver. Scored two sterling candle stick holders cement filled for 7.00 each. Had no idea how much silver was actually there, so was taking a risk. Looks like I managed 4.4 troy ounces of .999 silver, if it were refined, for 14 bucks. I keep grinning ear to ear as I type this. My wife sure was getting pissed at me, we were supposed to be looking for a new bed for my daughter but for some reason I kept wandering off everytime I saw something shiny.

Scott
Last edited by ScottyTX on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Heartkill » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:22 pm

ScottyTX wrote:ha was scanning resale shops today for silver. Scored two sterling candle stick holders cement filled for 7.00 each. Had no idea how much silver was actually there so was taking a risk looks like I managed 4.4 troy ounces of .999 silver if it were refined for 14 bucks. I keep grinning ear to ear as I type this. My wife sure was getting pissed at me, we were supposed to be looking for a new bed for my daughter but for some reason I kept wandering off everytime I saw something shiny.

Scott

Scott, you may do better selling them on eBay versus scrapping them. My wife finds sterling weighted candlesticks all the time at garage sales, Goodwill, etc. - she usually gets $10-15 EACH for them. Just something to consider.

On a side note, I nabbed 9 pieces of copper/stainless Revereware pots and pans at an estate auction today, for $10 :mrgreen: There a little too nice to scrap though. I think they'll fetch at least $20-30 each.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby ScottyTX » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:02 am

10-15 dollars each for them eh? I had to tear into the dented one and weighed it 4 times already (the actual sterling sheeting) 2.2 oz ASW per candlestick. That's not anywhere close to 10-15 dollars each unless I'm missing something??
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:47 am

ScottyTX wrote:10-15 dollars each for them eh? I had to tear into the dented one and weighed it 4 times already (the actual sterling sheeting) 2.2 oz ASW per candlestick. That's not anywhere close to 10-15 dollars each unless I'm missing something??

Maybe he is thining 14$ silver value from your previous post. Thats how I read it first. But esentially you have to pay $14 to refine over 4 ounces that would have a value over 1204
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote: My wife and daughter both like the feel/taste of silver in their mouths at dinner.

Guess you don't need to worry about full moons at your household? Image

LOL! Where do you come up with all these crazy icons?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals