Silver Shortages?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Shortages?

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:52 am

From the Mouth of the Perth Mint: Expect Precious Metals Shortages During The Next Crisis

aka: Due to production not being able to keep up with demand....

http://sgtreport.com/2012/07/right-from ... xt-crisis/
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Silver Shortages?

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:00 pm

I heard about this last night but couldn't find any hard evidence until you threw this up there.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Maybe I shouldn't say hard evidence but this seems more than just conjecture to me.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:06 pm

I did not say physical shortage of the metal....but it is a person who works for Perth in the interview that is just stating that in some cases production can't keep up with demand.

The US Mint has had problems in the past getting blanks as well and stopped selling. Now I donn't if they just did not want to sell or what. But still if they are limited to using on US silver production in the making of the coins that is limited.
Copper Catcher

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm not sure if you saw the last video of BrotherJohnF but towards the end he explains how the precious metals calculator for silver can not be correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH8EmKOY ... e=g-user-u
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:33 pm

CtrlAltBernanke wrote:I'm not sure if you saw the last video of BrotherJohnF but towards the end he explains how the precious metals calculator for silver can not be correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH8EmKOY ... e=g-user-u

And although he expresses his doubts, he notes that there is a possibility of the price of silver testing $21 to $22. Interesting times we live in.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah I thought that was interesting also. While I'm no expert, I am not going to hold my cash and wait for $21. I'd rather buy now, be happy for the people who get it at $21 and then celebrate with everybody five years from now. I still haven't seen the jump in price from Sprott buying 200 million in physical silver.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:41 pm

The reason I have a 10 oz bet that it drops below $25 before the end of the year! :P 8-)
Copper Catcher

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 pm

The "What Did You Scrap" thread in the Scrap Metal Salvage is instructive. Lately, the recyclers are paying 8 or 9 cents for steel. They are getting paid less so they have to pay the public less. Demand is down. The Baltic Dry Index shows we are past the bubble economy and demand will have to be sustained at lower levels despite a higher worldwide population.

Baltic_Dry_Index.png
Today's Quote is actually 933, not the 1200 or so shown above.
Baltic_Dry_Index.png (77.1 KiB) Viewed 237 times

From Wikipedia:
The Baltic Dry Index (BDI) is a number issued daily by the London-based Baltic Exchange. Not restricted to Baltic Sea countries, the index provides "an assessment of the price of moving the major raw materials by sea. Taking in 23 shipping routes measured on a timecharter basis, the index covers Handysize, Supramax, Panamax, and Capesize dry bulk carriers carrying a range of commodities including coal, iron ore and grain."[1]

So if less materials are moving, less stuff is being made and the industrial metal silver is going into fewer things. It makes sense that the price would drop. Sure, record numbers of ASEs are selling, but I don't think that makes up the difference in the lost industrial demand. Perhaps the investment demand from the whole world is sufficient. I dunno.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cheeple » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm

oh yeah I'm in this thing for the long haul, I'll never get my 401K so my silver is my retirement, I only wish our banks did like china and allow us to save in precious metals, can you imaging in 2020 silvers set to go Parabolic!
I will send you a free silver dime, just go here: http://www.cashcrate.com/443331 earn $10 for yourself then I'll send it to you!
cheeple

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals