holy mofo...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

holy mofo...

Postby stlouiscoin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:27 pm

I have a running add on craigslist buying silver and some other items. I get a text bout 15 minutes ago. guy says he has a 1906 half dollar and a 1794DOLLAR!!!!!!
not counting on it being real, but holy mofo!!!!
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: holy mofo...

Postby Morsecode » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Well...it was a text message afterall. Maybe he meant 1974
:D
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby stlouiscoin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm

he wants 400 for it... 99.999% sure its fake if he wants that... Might as well check. what should I look for? weight, size, plating, anything else? and I asked him that acctually, and he said 1794 again!
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 pm

stlouiscoin wrote:he wants 400 for it... 99.999% sure its fake if he wants that... Might as well check. what should I look for? weight, size, plating, anything else? and I asked him that acctually, and he said 1794 again!

Pass ;)
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby christostock » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:28 pm

It is a fake.
If you can read the date on it, it would be worth 15-20K or more.
You should meet him in a public place that has cameras like your bank.
If he says he's not comfortable with that then you should suggest the police station.
If he doesn't like either of those you should warn the other Craiglisters that you know.
About a year ago the secret service caught a guy here in New England that was selling counterfeit coins.
I had an appointment with him but got sidetracked.
Several guys I know lost their money to him.
He advertised on CL and once one guy discovered his game he spammed CL to warn all the other buyers.
If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS!!!!!
Please be careful.
PEACE
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 pm

yeah, eexactly what I was thinking christostock. would a well made counterfeit be worth anything more than silver?
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Good advice 'christostock'... the old saying is good here ... "if its too good to be true, it is" (or something like that :D ) I sure 'pass' on that one.
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby tedandcam » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:13 pm

If you do check the coin out...do the flip test and magnet test on it also, weight AND dimenssions are key checks...I am in your area (STL)and have met with folks from CL that have had fakes...one guy was oblivious to it beeig a fake but, I showed him and he said he was gonna frame it and hang it on his wall in his office.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby galenrog » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:32 pm

I am of the opinion that he is trying to unload a fake. If this is a good quality fake, that is a fake that makes weight, design, material and all other criteria of the original, and does not have any obvious indicators showing it to be a fake, then I could be interested in adding it to my collection of counterfeits.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:19 am

Lol, reaminds me of a time I once was e-mailed a fuzzy pic of a bunch of 20.00 gold peices for 500.00 each... Gold was right around 800.00 at the time. I rushed over there (1.5 hr drive) to stare down at a bunch of St Gaurdian replicas :) They were all underwieight and said copy on the reverse.....
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Reminds me of the time when I was in the LCS and some guy came in looking to sell these coins... The guy looked at them and said they were fakes! The guy says how do you know? because if you had a $20k coin, you would be keeping it in something other than a mylar plastic sheet!

It looks like he is trying to scam you!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals