whats this mean?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

whats this mean?

Postby lance » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:15 pm

tjt10kp ???
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: whats this mean?

Postby im2shakey » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Looks like a personal tag that has a crazy meaning?
im2shakey
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:26 pm

If it's on a piece of jewellery, it's probably "TJT" the maker's initials and 10 karat plumb.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Interesting...i bought 3 rings and they all had it on it...i was afraid of them being plated but i broke the band on one of them and it seems to be gold colored all the way through....so im assuming its not plated now.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheba » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 pm

you probably have 10 kt gold...worth some money. Take it to someone (LCS or jewler) that you trust to find out if it is 'gold filled'. If that is the case (gold filled) it will not be worth anything in terms of gold value. Hope you got a good deal and its 10 kt gold!! :)
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby wagsthadog » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi there-

The "P" on the end scares me; I think it means plated...and pretty much worthless from a gold standpoint. Test it and know!

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Yah scares me also! Ill take it somewhere tommarow
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:00 pm

wagsthadog wrote:Hi there-

The "P" on the end scares me; I think it means plated...and pretty much worthless from a gold standpoint. Test it and know!

wags

I used to feel the same....older rings will have that "P" meaning "PLUMB". Should be the real deal. I did some research and was rewarded instead of punishing myself with knowledge. :D
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Nickelmeister » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:06 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:
wagsthadog wrote:Hi there-

wags

I used to feel the same....older rings will have that "P" meaning "PLUMB". Should be the real deal. I did some research and was rewarded instead of punishing myself with knowledge. :D

That's what *I* said!
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:48 am

What are some of the stamps i should stay away from? In terms of gold plater/gold filled.etc
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Robarons » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:45 am

10kp is plumb has been said many times
10k gp I think means Gold plate
10k (or more commonly 18k) HGE means Heavy Gold Electro-plate
10k (or more commonly 12k) GF means Gold filled, same as 1/20 1/20 or 10/20, 14/20 when karat is the numerator
10k RGP is rolled gold plate
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:56 am

What is gold filled? I tried looking it up when a member here was buying it, but i got links to all kinds of other stuff, that i dont believe was what was talked about.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Treetop wrote:What is gold filled?

Hey Treetop it is a winner compared to the other markings...its actual layered gold vs electro plated, the next winner but not so much is the rolled gold plate. Maybe if Nickelmeister wasn't offended to much he will chime in, he is in the biz.

I little more info...."plumb" is used on jewelry to insure to the end user that it is what it is marked....i.e. 14kp is 14 karat...and not 13 1/2 karat

then I believe **kpc means the karat number is from a melted gold coin. Mark help me out here am I correct?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Never heard of of the NPC marking- if it was used it would have been long ago when gold coins were actually used. Gold coins dont tend to fall into karats that well- if you melted us gold I think its like 21.58k pure or close. European gold I think may fall into 22k gold.

Gold filled is an actual sheet of gold over a base metal. Its the thickest plate you can get. Its mechanically applied as well. By law 1/20th of the total weight must be gold to be called gold filled. So if you had a gold filled ring that weighed 20 grams of 12k, then it would have 1 gram of solid 12k. But wear and costs to refine this gold skew the the gold scrap value of that item.

Gold filled varies from .25-.50 cents a gram in scrap value.

The best thing to look for scrap gold is a karat mark by itself with nothing following it. Almost almost means its solid. Sometimes there are manufacturers marks that do not mean anything as well.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals