Candlestick Question - w/PICS - Weighted?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Candlestick Question - w/PICS - Weighted?

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:01 pm

This is new territory for me. I am assuming that these are probably weighted. Could they be solid? What does the 162 mean? Anyone know how much the sterling might weigh even if these are not solid? Thanks in advance for any advice!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Candlestick Question - w/PICS - Weighted?

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:08 pm

weighted....1-2 toz .925 per stick
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Robarons » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:12 pm

162 is a manufacturer's number- like the number of that model, etc. Does not effect purity or have any relation to the sterling silver aspect

Likely weighed- but I have never seen a candle stick that is just marked 'sterling', most times their always marked 'weighted' as well. Do they feel hollow by any chance?

I agree with Rode with the 1-2 troy ounce per stick, but I think you may have lucked out because those are tall and look of higher quality than most sticks, so if you beat the snot out of them I think the scrap could easily exceed 2 troy ounces up to 3 ounces
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Don't beat the snot out of them until you look them up on e-bay completed sales.

You never know they might be worth a couple hundred bucks. They have a cool deco 1920's look to them.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks guys. Not trashing them yet. Nothing on eBay, open or completed sales. Google images is coming up short too.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Dude just throw them up on the bay with a 149.00 start and see what happens.

Those sticks are cool.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Beat the snot out of them and give us a weight.

My guess 87.6 grams
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 pm

125.25 grams

The tops aren't weighted
Thogey

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm told it feels hollow except for a heavy weighted base. That's a good thing, right? I should have these in hand tomorrow.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:42 pm

NHsorter wrote:I'm told it feels hollow except for a heavy weighted base. That's a good thing, right? I should have these in hand tomorrow.

That is a good thing. They have to be made thicker in the hollow areas. Otherwise they dent up to easy.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:05 pm

Nevermind the candlesticks...where'd you get the insulators? Look like Whitall Tatum No. 4's maybe?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby tractorman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:52 am

Morsecode wrote:Nevermind the candlesticks...where'd you get the insulators? Look like Whitall Tatum No. 4's maybe?

What can you tell me about insulators? I could pick those up all day long if I wanted.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:23 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Beat the snot out of them and give us a weight.

Ah yes, cause it's worth it to go the easy route and destroy something for pennies on the dollar instead of going for the hard earned payday and cash out big time. Sometimes actions like this disgusts me about some folks here.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:24 am

Morsecode wrote:Nevermind the candlesticks...where'd you get the insulators? Look like Whitall Tatum No. 4's maybe?

What's a good solid price to pay on the insulators and still make a profit selling them on eBay or shipping them to the greater Hartford area?
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 am

It's impossible to generalize with insulators. It's like coin collecting. So much common stuff out there, and shipping kills a lot of those deals. Your WT's are about a buck or two in the price guide, and would be in giveaway boxes for new collectors at insulator shows.

Color can be everything, but many of the $10,000+ pieces are plain old aqua. The Hemi pictured is less than a dollar in aqua

http://www.insulators.info/photos/photos/162-cob.htm

And here's one that's coin related...

Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:20 am

cesariojpn wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Beat the snot out of them and give us a weight.

Ah yes, cause it's worth it to go the easy route and destroy something for pennies on the dollar instead of going for the hard earned payday and cash out big time. Sometimes actions like this disgusts me about some folks here.

Jeeze....We're talking about candlesticks here....not the Stanely cup.....probably not going to ba able to cash out big time on the sale of these. But what do I know. ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:37 am

Matter of fact, I'm setting here looking ay one of the nicest ding free Gorham sugar and creamer sets I have ever purchased. And believe me folks, alot of this type of material has passed through my hands and this is as good as it gets for a production line. Anyways, I am thinking back about my options and what I did.

The total weight is 195.5 grams
Thats 180.8 grams of pure silver
They were twice listed on eBay at 20% then 15% over melt (no bids)
If I would have got a bid I would have made about 10-15% more than melting after the fees involved in listing.
So here I am 6 months after purcahsing them, still holding.
My original funds are still tied up and spot price has shed $15-18 an ounce.
So I have lost $80-$100 in potential profits on this transaction
Just because I was trying to cash out big time

So I say that some inactions often disgust me.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:07 am

Pretty good guess Thogey, they came in right at about 150g. Tops were hollow, but not the shaft or base.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Matter of fact, I'm setting here looking ay one of the nicest ding free Gorham sugar and creamer sets I have ever purchased. And believe me folks, alot of this type of material has passed through my hands and this is as good as it gets for a production line. Anyways, I am thinking back about my options and what I did.

The total weight is 195.5 grams
Thats 180.8 grams of pure silver
They were twice listed on eBay at 20% then 15% over melt (no bids)
If I would have got a bid I would have made about 10-15% more than melting after the fees involved in listing.
So here I am 6 months after purcahsing them, still holding.
My original funds are still tied up and spot price has shed $15-18 an ounce.
So I have lost $80-$100 in potential profits on this transaction
Just because I was trying to cash out big time

So I say that some inactions often disgust me.

Have to agree with Rodebaugh here. When you buy something have an exit strategy in mind, if something easy comes up, go for it. I have a similar experience with a tea set and Salt/pepper shakers, which are still in my closet waiting for $40 silver to come back. Will it break me to just take the loss, no... but it irks me to look at them every day. And if you can make $20 on your $100 investment in the candle sticks quick, then repeat 2 or 3 or 4 times, you will be a lot better off than if you take a chance on getting $50 in the next month on ebay. Of course DYDD and check if they might be something valuable to an antique dealer first, but if its not a slam dunk I say scrap it, and let the other 10,000 still out there gain incrementally in value until they are actually worth something.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:08 pm

They are already scrapped. Made a few bucks on the turn. Already have a line on another potential purchase in the AM. :D
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:48 pm

NHsorter wrote:They are already scrapped. Made a few bucks on the turn. Already have a line on another potential purchase in the AM. :D

So was a wise choice ;)

also, good guess E on the weight.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals