Fractional Silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fractional Silver?

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:29 pm

In addition to my penny and nickel hoarding....what do people think about stacking small denominations of silver? The smallest .999 silver size I've seen is 1/10th of an ounce from APMEX. Premiums are a bit high...but still seems like a good idea. Or maybe 1/4 or 1/2 ounce sizes would be better? Thoughts :?:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Fractional Silver?

Postby scrapman1077 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 pm

US dimes
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:27 am

I agree on the Dimes an usually very close to melt
paid only $99.75 two weeks ago now available at $111.50 for $5.00 face.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:48 am

Another vote for dimes here.

1/10 fractional .999 seems to go for almost double spot, but you can easily pick up dimes for half the price per ounce.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Matt B » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:39 am

I've been stacking both 90% and fractional .999, including 1/10, 1/4 and 1/2 oz rounds. You may buy the .999 stuff at a premium but it carries that premium when its time t sell or trade, more so than 90%.
Matt B
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:48 am

Matt B wrote:I've been stacking both 90% and fractional .999, including 1/10, 1/4 and 1/2 oz rounds. You may buy the .999 stuff at a premium but it carries that premium when its time t sell or trade, more so than 90%.

True, but a hypothetical $2/round premium doesn't change with spot. If you buy at $20, and sell at $30, a dime would catch the entire upside. With the same money invested in rounds, you'd only have half the ounces to catch the upside while the minting premium would stay fairly constant.

In that respect, small fracs would be a good short play.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:45 am

I'll take any .999 fracs I can get at minimal premium, but prefer dimes.

A .999 option, slightly painful due to the typical multi-month delivery wait, is to order NWT Stagecoach ("for when you have to get out fo Dodge") ounces (either bars or rounds), which are divided into quarters, but have only a moderate premium. bonitacar bought some in May, just arrived. I traded lydian lions for some of his. The wait from NWT is seemingly ridiculous, but the end product is very nice.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:31 am

dimes...
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:23 am

http://www.providentmetals.com/1-10-oz- ... ndian.html

These are the cheapest fractionals around, they have 1/4s and 1/2s as well. For larger orders and more selections in designs go directly to golden state mint for a bit better prices. (I think you need 100 ounce minimum for golden state mint orders)

Im sure provident beats apmex though
Last edited by Treetop on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Matt B » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 am

Yeah, I would definitely not be buying 1/10 fracs at $2 over each. They can be had for much less in bulk through Provident or Quality Silver Bullion, among others. Still not as cheap as dimes. There will always be the "prefer 90%" and "prefer .999" crowds, but I like both and buy/trade for both when the price is right.

Incidentally, QSB makes a nice divisible (into 1/4's) round that they sell for same price as their regular rounds. You can also easily track down their monthly "free shipping" code. They aren't as speedy as Provident, but nowhere as glacial as NWTM. :D
Matt B
Penny Pincher Member

Postby brian0918 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 am

I buy all my "fractionals" for about $30 UNDER spot price, tax-free and shipping-free, plus some time and effort for sorting/driving. :D
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Kurr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I haven't produced anything since march or April, and hope to remedy that soon now that some things have settled down, but I am a huge fan of fractionals and classify it differently than dimes or other currency.

I like it better because not everyone knows dimes can be 50%, 80%, or 90% depending on origin and years. Plus a lot of folks find the math harder to calculate that difference. .999 is much easier. Also as a learning tool, small fractionals for children or small budgets are great and make wonderfull "indroductory" types gifts to raise awareness of hard money and the fiat decline in value.

I like to give it to children for birthdays and such, because you might not want to give a full ounce to kids to start off with. 1/10 fracs are 3.1 grams but I make smaller, again because not everyone knows the difference between Troy and Common ounces. When in production I make 1 and 5 gram bars which still sell on ebay even now at MUCH more premium than what I asked. Many have made a bit of coin buying here and reselling.

And if we ever get hard money laws again, such as Utah has passed, they will be really nice as a small unit recognized currency.

Just my .02
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 pm

While I love the small .999 bars, there is, of course, a good reason that all circulating gold or silver (regardless of period of history or country of origin) are made of alloy and are not pure. I think we know this, but it's easy to forget. It's because alloy wears reasonably well and can tolerate the abuse. Alloy hardens the metal. Bullion cannot do this. Bullion silver sub-ounce pieces (even 1 oz-ers) are largely show-pieces and/or need to be protected. As real circulating currency they would be disastrous.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:15 pm

you just can't beat a dime that you find when you sort bags.
dakota1955

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I only have ONE silver dime...that was given to me by a fellow collector for a birthday present! But I really want to stack adding more .999 fine in addition to my other coinage I have. I will shop around and see what I can find.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:29 pm

68Camaro wrote:While I love the small .999 bars, there is, of course, a good reason that all circulating gold or silver (regardless of period of history or country of origin) are made of alloy and are not pure. I think we know this, but it's easy to forget. It's because alloy wears reasonably well and can tolerate the abuse. Alloy hardens the metal. Bullion cannot do this. Bullion silver sub-ounce pieces (even 1 oz-ers) are largely show-pieces and/or need to be protected. As real circulating currency they would be disastrous.

+1
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:07 am

a dollar of 90% silver has .715 troy ounces. a dime - one tenth of a dollar - has .0715 troy oz of silver.

i think its foolish to pay a premium for fractional .999 silver when fractional .900 is available without a premium.

with gold, it makes some sense because not everyone can accept $1700 at one time.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:45 am

Treetop wrote:http://www.providentmetals.com/1-10-oz-999-silver-round-incuse-indian.html

These are the cheapest fractionals around, they have 1/4s and 1/2s as well. For larger orders and more selections in designs go directly to golden state mint for a bit better prices. (I think you need 100 ounce minimum for golden state mint orders)

Im sure provident beats apmex though

Yes, Provident does beat APMEX as far as pricing is concerned. I checked it out for myself. I really like the look of some of the fractional .999 silvers. Still contemplating though....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals