Gold nuggets 100% gold?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold nuggets 100% gold?

Postby mrrosado » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi,
just wondering. I bought a gold nugget online for about $6. It's .100 gram of Gold so $6 was about spot price for it. Is this 100% gold?
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Gold nuggets 100% gold?

Postby snappy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:02 pm

if it is a real nugget it is not 100% gold they range from 15%-98% with 85%-95% common.
snappy
Penny Collector Member

Postby brian0918 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Weigh it on a sensitive gram scale to be certain of the weight. Then put it in a narrow graduated cylinder with water, and see how much the water level rises due to the nugget. Divide the weight in grams by the volume change in mL, and then divide the result 19.30 to estimate the purity.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Australian gold is among the purest in the world and is often in the range of 22-23k naturally. However, Georgia rivals that of Australia in purity. California gold is a close second at 20k to 22k and Alaskan gold can run from 18k to 22k on average depending on the batch.
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mrrosado » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:14 pm

thanks for the information
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Australian gold is among the purest in the world and is often in the range of 22-23k naturally. However, Georgia rivals that of Australia in purity. California gold is a close second at 20k to 22k and Alaskan gold can run from 18k to 22k on average depending on the batch.

Speaking of Georgia gold, Dahlonega was about 15 minutes from where I grew up. Nice little college town with lots of history. Beautiful area especially during the fall season. Worth the trek there. Been a while since I have done it but you can tour the gold museum located in the old historic courthouse. :thumbup:
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals