I am HOOKED on HALVES!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: I am HOOKED on HALVES!

Postby schockergd » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:56 pm

What's the average for halves? I need to ask my bank about 50c bags.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cytic » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 am

schockergd wrote:What's the average for halves? I need to ask my bank about 50c bags.

The average is bad. :D

I have searched about ten $500 bank boxes and averaged about one 40% or 90% coin in each box. Keep in mind that 8 of those coins came from one bank rolled box. I posted an analysis of my first 5 weeks of silver prospecting on another forum. I will start a new thread here with the same info.

ETA: Just made a new topic with my total find numbers http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18597
Cytic

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 pm

I don't plan on doing hundreds of boxes per year but if I am already in our credit union and they are willing to keep them for me until I can pick them up what can it hurt? I don't expect it to be typical but I did nail $70 worth (12 40% and 1 90%) of silver out of $89 in halves the other day! I would think the coins that are brought in by customers would have a lot better chance of having some silver in them than the boxes that are being wrapped at the armored car services but maybe not??
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:31 am

It seems like most people find the best results if you maintain the searching. Then just search as many boxes as you can order/return in a week, and repeat.

In the end it's all pretty random. The returns really shot down a lot this year. And it would seem like more and more people are giving it the old college try.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby mbailey1234 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Stopped by another branch that we bank at today... They had $140 in a bag on their counter so I bought them.

Ended up with...
$138.50 in non silver halves
1 stinking 1966 40%
So I'm short $1 right?

This is where it got kind of weird...
Also had 12 pennies, 4 nickels and 46 quarters in the bag! :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :shock:

Guess we came out ahead but wasn't expecting to do it that way.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:58 am

mbailey1234 wrote:Stopped by another branch that we bank at today... They had $140 in a bag on their counter so I bought them.

Ended up with...
$138.50 in non silver halves
1 stinking 1966 40%
So I'm short $1 right?

This is where it got kind of weird...
Also had 12 pennies, 4 nickels and 46 quarters in the bag! :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :shock:

Guess we came out ahead but wasn't expecting to do it that way.

Wow, that's random. Might be a good dump bank if pennies are counted as halves sometimes.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 am

They must have gotten their coin counter fixed. Nothing but half dollars in the bag this time :lol: Picked up $277.50 from their customer return's in a big Fed bag and nailed 3 - 1964's and 21 - 40%. I am definitely hooked on the customer returns now! :thumbup: I'm yet to find a Franky in the mix yet but I'm sure he's out there somewhere! All the old geezers are dying off in our area so I think the old ladies are dumping their silver at the bank. :shh:
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:27 am

Wow, you must've hit a local vein. Keep it up until it dries out.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals