Why not hoard lead?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Why not hoard lead?

Postby Thogey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 pm

It's becoming more and more scarce.

Lead paint, solder, wheel weights are all, or soon will be a thing of the past.

Lead bullets, sinkers and curtain weights are gubermint targets.

I believe there will always be a demand/market for lead. For example I was recently shocked at the price of mercury.

Lead is non corrosive and takes very litle space.

What are ya'lls thoughts on this issue?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Why not hoard lead?

Postby Morsecode » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Hey, I forgot all about window sash weights. Them bee-yotches are heavy! Excellent source of metal for the reload market (soon to be blackmarket).

Lead...yeah, why not? The way things are going, anything metal is bound to be valued more than anything else, except maybe silicon. Or is silicon a metal, too? :?

Once the Looming Fecal Cliff is in the rearview mirror I would look for value jumps in all base metals.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scyther » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Doesn't all that really just mean there's less demand for it? If they stopped putting silver in computers, that would make the price go down, not up.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 pm

I have a few coffee cans full of lead. I figure it doesn't hurt to keep some sitting around.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:24 pm

car batteries are a great source of lead
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 pm

justoneguy wrote:car batteries are a great source of lead

But you have the acid to worry about....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:36 pm

I would like to stock pile some lead. I have a friend who casts his own sabot slugs for hunting. It has been on my mind lately. Spending $18 for a box of 5 slugs for hunting doesn't sit well with me. My friend makes his own for $1 each.

Are you saying that lead is readily available? Is it still used for wheel weights? I have a friend who owns a junk yard. I thought that I would see if I could go harvest a couple of 5 gal buckes of them.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby CardsNCoins » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 am

If I do end up hoarding lead, who can my widow give it away to after she finishes pile driving me into a grave that I will no doubt be happy to finally be in? :lol:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:22 pm

knibloe wrote:I would like to stock pile some lead. I have a friend who casts his own sabot slugs for hunting. It has been on my mind lately. Spending $18 for a box of 5 slugs for hunting doesn't sit well with me. My friend makes his own for $1 each.

Are you saying that lead is readily available? Is it still used for wheel weights? I have a friend who owns a junk yard. I thought that I would see if I could go harvest a couple of 5 gal buckes of them.

Lead is still used for wheel weights. The best way to store lead is by having it attached to a brass casing.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Funny this is mentioned. I just got back from hunting camp where a buddy mentioned he had a pallet of lead in the garage from his father who cast bullets and such. Was thinking of making an offer but have no idea what lead goes for these days. Mostly in the form of bars and wheel weights. Any ideas? Thanks
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Remember in the good old days the best drain lines were made of cast iron pipe? Before PVC and ABS. The plumber would caulk the hub of the pipe and then pour in molten lead to seal it. Hot work in the summer in Houston. Most plumbing supply houses probably don't carry the lead bars any longer, but they certainly have the lead sheets for roof jacks and under tile showers. Cheap? I don't know.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:15 pm

When I was a teen I made money for scuba trips by melting lead wheel weights and casting them into scuba weights. Sold them to the local dive shops.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Forget bullets.. Think batteries, battery in just about everything these days. It's likely, with everyone else's eyes on gold & silver that lead would be overlooked until.., the inevitable. The trick is to amass enough of any metal to make the trip into the big city where buyers pay more, around where I live it's a total con job. Let's say your willing to wait for lead to go to back to 1.50 or 2.00 lb. might not be all that long, especially if war keeps breaking out. Put an add in the paper paying 50 cents a lb., or the same as the local recyclers pay and start hoarding lead. Sometimes I think some of these low dollar metals have as much potential as anything. Prices.
http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 am

justoneguy wrote:car batteries are a great source of lead

How much lead in a car battery?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 am

Yeah, I got a couple hundred pounds of lead hoarded. How much? I dunno. I just grab it up every time I find it.

It is so easy to store. It does not rust. It just sits there under my house and minds it's own business until I am ready to use it.

Many print shops still use lots of lead in their print machines. They buy "pigs" of lead bar ingots for their printing press machines.

Commercial roofers, and plumbers, will sell you lots of used lead, cheap!

Be sure to rinse out all the lead you get from those plumbers, now. How does that old Plumbers saying go? "Payday's Friday, sh!t runs downhill, and NEVER work with your mouth open!" :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 pm

if you mean just plain lead, well its a commodity but not a monetary one. its also very bulky. the monetary commodities reasonably can be expected to increase in value more rapidly, and as a side benefit are a more dense/compact store of value.

if you are open to alternatives, consider food. coffee has more than doubled in a few years.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:if you mean just plain lead, well its a commodity but not a monetary one. its also very bulky. the monetary commodities reasonably can be expected to increase in value more rapidly, and as a side benefit are a more dense/compact store of value.

if you are open to alternatives, consider food. coffee has more than doubled in a few years.

Very true, but lead is the most priceless metal of all when you need it most.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 pm

I am taking my truck in tomorrow to have the tires balanced...i will remove all the wieghts first. the start of my new metal hoard.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals