At which banks do you get your Halves or Ikes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

At which banks do you get your Halves or Ikes

Postby Pennies2hundreds » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi. I keep trying to find rolls of half dollars and Ikes with no success. I was wondering where you guys get your half dollar rolls, just to give me an idea of where to search.
Who's that girl? What's her name?
Is she cool? Is she lame?
Oh, you're talkin' 'bout whats-her-name.
Pepper Ann.
Pennies2hundreds
Penny Sorter Member

Re: At which banks do you get your Halves or Ikes

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Pennies2hundreds wrote:Hi. I keep trying to find rolls of half dollars and Ikes with no success. I was wondering where you guys get your half dollar rolls, just to give me an idea of where to search.

I wish there was a tounge in cheek smiley....

Have you tried..... banks?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Work every bank and credit union you can. Show up with a smile and know what you will say when the obvious questions are asked. Those gals deal with the public. The public in whole stinks. Set yourself apart from those clowns with a good additude and a brightness....you'll get what you want.

apply this to anything......it works ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Romalae » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:55 pm

If you're looking for silver, perhaps the key is not to search for boxes of halves, rather bags. I tend to find a lot more silver in bags when I do sort halves; probably because it comes directly from the customer and is not presorted by Brinks or anyone else. To receive bags of coin, you'll want to go to one of your banks (one that isn't a dump bank) and determine if they have a coin-counting machine on site and will allow you to purchase them once full.

If you are intent on obtaining rolls of halves, you may want to order them in advance. More than likely, your banks will not have many half dollars on site because they aren't used often in everyday circulation. But it is entirely possible for the banks to place an order with their coin service provider if you request it in advance. They will call you once the shipment arrives (I believe most banks have a weekly shipment of coinage from their armored car service, but it could potentially take longer to process your order).

As for Ikes, those are rarely seen anymore. I've never explored purchasing them in bulk at banks so I have no information on that note. But occasionally a teller will have a few on hand and will likely be more than happy to get rid of them.

Good luck to you, sir.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby okie jack » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 pm

I get mine at 2 of my local small town banks also i go to arvest . Nice to be here.
okie jack

Postby tedandcam » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:11 am

please view this topic... I and others answered to a similar question/situation in the past. Good Luck. I hope this is helpful to you and feel free to send me a PM if I can be of any help to you. Doc Rodebaugh's remark about disposition is excellent advise. How we present ourselves can be a big difference maker. Ted

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18927
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Just post an ad in the WTB section and other members will be happy to ship you all you want for a fair price. This will save you needless searching and having to dump all the rejects. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals