Just saw this message on APMEX about mixed Ag bags

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just saw this message on APMEX about mixed Ag bags

Postby Nickelless » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Did you guys notice this message on APMEX's site about their junk silver bags?
We cannot mix the denominations within any single bag!

They were selling mixed bags up until last week or so, as best I can recall (I check out their site a few times a week to get my silver fix).

Any idea why they're doing (or rather not doing) this now?
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Just saw this message on APMEX about mixed Ag bags

Postby JJM » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:09 pm

I think the big sellers are pretty flush w/ 90% right now, Tulving is selling at a slight discount to spot currently for example. What this has meant in the past is that we are on the "floor" so to speak, price-wise. When the price is near the top, there is much more frenzied buying, and far lesser inventories. (Counter-intuitive, I know, but most folks don't want to look at $29.xx silver as "being on sale", when in reality, it is.) Anyway, I think this "glut" gives the sellers the ability to sell it this way. Also, I know a lot of folks that prefer dimes, but few that prefer quarters, this allows the appeasement of that subset of customers.

I know of one case where APMEX took ~3 weeks to fill a large order place in November, this wasn't with junk silver however. It was a fairly large order, and they handled it very poorly.

I also know they are getting flack at APMEX for putting modern silver proofs in junk silver bags from some buyers, there are folks who only want pre '65 in junk.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals