Fakes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fakes

Postby beauanderos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:21 pm

I offered some silver dollars for sale this past weekend, and had a few takers. While digging through my inventory I got a nasty surprize. :shock: One of the Peace dollars I had packed away was visibly thinner than the others, the shade of the metal was just a teensy bit greyer than what we're used to... and the features were similar to what you would expect with a weak strike. Also, on the reverse, the rim had a peculiar raised edge, as if the strike pressure wasn't centered correctly. The final piece of incontrovertible evidence? It only weighed 19.7 grams, compared to an average of 26.7 that seems to be the standard for unworn dollars. :?

An item like this would be easy to detect if it was examined, even cursorily. But if included in a bulk purchase, it could easily slip by undetected... as it must have done with me. :oops:

Now here's the scariest part. I haven't purchased Peace dollars in at least five years. These things have been around for quite awhile. :o Caveat emptor! :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Fakes

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:45 pm

That sucks. Good news it was detectable fairly easily. Bad news is that was a fake from 5+ years ago, and I suspect the newer ones are better. Was it magnetic? (Just curious.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:54 pm

68Camaro wrote:That sucks. Good news it was detectable fairly easily. Bad news is that was a fake from 5+ years ago, and I suspect the newer ones are better. Was it magnetic? (Just curious.)

Just tested it with one of those powerful little rare earth magnets. Sucker clung to it's face like an alien life-form clutching onto a plastic shield. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Ray, you know that deal we did 6 years ago? Well, I done spent all the money.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:48 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Ray, you know that deal we did 6 years ago? Well, I done spent all the money.

:lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm

I don't get why they make fakes out of magnetic materials. Just use CuNi...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:53 am

Dear Ray, I am anxiously awaiting my package from you. Sincerely Diggin
Attachments
mag.jpg
mag.jpg (30.7 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:37 am

Now where did i put that neodymium magnet? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals