90% 'JUNK' / ASE 'FACE VALUE'!! PLEASE READ!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: 90% 'JUNK' / ASE 'FACE VALUE'!! PLEASE READ!!

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Good point, Aristobolus. Historically speaking, the US one-dollar silver coin has always been 371.25 grains of silver (.7734 of an ounce). This applies from 1794 all the way until the conclusion of the Peace dollars in 1935.

Still, it makes me think that I should diversify even more and stock up on some Maples. Besides, they sure are pretty. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:48 pm

If the collapse of civilization happened, I'd rather have a garden and jugs of water instead of ASE's or any rounds for that matter. Oh, also my firearms but that's a given. I don't feel like sharing with thugs and looters.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:35 pm

I agree with the others. There is nothing fraudulent about bartering with 90% silver or ASEs. What material fact is being misrepresented here? Where is the injury? Also barter has historically been recognized by the Federal Government (not to mention common law) as a valid form of commerce. There is even a section to report barter transactions on our tax forms. And the term "fraudulent intent" sounds like it was made up by someone who watches too much Judge Judy.

Any law forbiding the trading of silver and gold coins/bars for goods/services at market value would probably refer to it as a "contract contrary to public policy" arguing that such transactions will serve to erode public confidence in the currency and the economy.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scrappermanhere » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Here deal people have some silver coins put back just in case have them . They know the price silver and gold going to explode 2011 they want there cut ! One type is know better than other, better have some not need it than to need it and have none . Just don't sell any over 600.00 at time .
scrappermanhere

Postby goodcents » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm not convinced this bit of legislation is going to last.
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wayne1956 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:02 pm

One way to get around the 1099 issue (if this ridiculous thing does not get repealed) is to buy/sell on a forum like craigslist to stay away from having to deal with dealers. When I purchase gold I try to get the fractionals, so if I do have to sell to a dealer then I can stay under the $600 amount.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals