Question about '42 nickels

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Question about '42 nickels

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:15 pm

On the coinflation website it is noted "** The U.S. Mint issued two compositions of the nickel in 1942. The standard copper-nickel composition used today and the 35% silver composition listed here."

My question, being new to playing with the nickels, is how in the world do you know when you have run across a '42 silver nickel as opposed to the copper-nickel composition? Thanks and Merry Christmas! :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Question about '42 nickels

Postby 999Ni » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:35 pm

if it has a large P or S on the reverse above monticello, its silver ;)
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:25 pm

I just found one the other day...the non-silver. The mintmark will be to the right of the building. All silver war nickels have the great big mintmark top, dead center, above the building....you can't miss it...if you do...it's not silver. The one I found was pretty worn down, I haven't checked it with the loupe yet but I know it's not silver.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Theres also that one that was made during the war years, (i forgot which year) but it has no mintmark because some guy was counterfeiting them in bulk. I know someone here has found them sorting. I think the bulk of them ended up in a river somewhere
TXBullion

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:42 pm

1944..they are call Hennings..named after the guy who made them. They look really cruddy like pennies do coming out of the ground.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks guys! Found two '42's today in CWR's. One was silver (large P above Monticello) and the other was not. Merry Christmas guys!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:48 pm

twentybux wrote:Thanks guys! Found two '42's today in CWR's. One was silver (large P above Monticello) and the other was not. Merry Christmas guys!

Merry Christmas to [i]you]/i], Twenty; you're the one that found the silver.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals