The one that got away

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The one that got away

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

I figure you guys might wanna read a story. Not mine.

Partial spoiler: One Ounce of gold for 99 cents.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ThriftStoreHaul ... t_amazing/
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: The one that got away

Postby RedRockGirl » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:24 pm

There was that one time when I met Brad Pitt.... :lol:
That would suck though. I just wish I would have known what I know now about junk silver when I was a kid working my dads retail store. I had no clue.
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 am

RedRockGirl wrote:There was that one time when I met Brad Pitt.... :lol:
That would suck though. I just wish I would have known what I know now about junk silver when I was a kid working my dads retail store. I had no clue.

Yeah, gotta wonder how many tales like that are out there.....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 am

My thoughts were homicidal for days to follow.

Don't say as I blame him. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I read alot of stories about people finding precious metals in thrift stores. I might have to stop in and take a look around from time to time. Might as well give it a try. :D
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bigsarge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:22 am

I bought a 5 ounce Gettysburg NP 5 ounce silver quarter from my local coin dealer at $5 over spot. It was in it's original plastic case. After talking to the shop owner for a awhile, he told me that the guy who brought it in, was at the local Goodwill store and saw it in a case there for $15.00. Since it had none of the documentation with it, he figured Goodwill thought it was just some token. Rare, as the Goodwill here seems to think every piece of junk brought to them, is some sort of sought after treasure and will price them ridiculously high.

I've found some really good non coin related things at another donation store, here in town, that I've been able to turn for very nice profits off Ebay. Like searching for silver halves- they don't pop up that often, but it's a nice score when they do.
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Here's another Goodwill story about gold, only with a surprise!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/ThriftStoreHaul ... enter_you/
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals