What is gold really worth?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What is gold really worth?

Postby Catfish4u » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:45 pm

What is gold really worth? Economic theory says its worth should be a result of supply and demand. I see where there are limitations on the supply side. Could the supply ever be greatly increased via some other method than traditional mining? Maybe filtering ocean water or the soil below? Maybe from the moon or even another planet?

Where is the demand for gold? There is very little industrial demand for gold. It seems the only real use is for jewelry? It seems that mainly central banks are stockpiling gold. Is gold that much different than fiat money in that central banks 'want us to think it is very valuable'?

From what I can see silver has many more uses. It also is very hard to mine as it is usually a byproduct of other mining. From my opinion I think the gold to silver price ratio should be much lower. What are others thoughts?
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Re: What is gold really worth?

Postby uthminsta » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:59 pm

I anticipate many well-crafted responses to this. But I have had this thought for years: why is it that we place a value on REAL money (silver, gold, platinum, whatever else) using units of FAKE money (dollars, etc)?

I had this sudden clarity moment: holy crap, THE MEASURING STICK IS FLAWED!
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby uthminsta » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm

I just created this. Can anyone else actually see it?
http://qkme.me/3szt2t
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hags » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:32 pm

uthminsta wrote:I anticipate many well-crafted responses to this. But I have had this thought for years: why is it that we place a value on REAL money (silver, gold, platinum, whatever else) using units of FAKE money (dollars, etc)?

It's not "fake" money...It's the current world reserve currency backed by the world's strongest military.....

Muammar Gaddafi called it fake and look where that got him...

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jasmatk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:17 pm

hags wrote:
uthminsta wrote:I anticipate many well-crafted responses to this. But I have had this thought for years: why is it that we place a value on REAL money (silver, gold, platinum, whatever else) using units of FAKE money (dollars, etc)?

It's not "fake" money...It's the current world reserve currency backed by the world's strongest military.....

Muammar Gaddafi called it fake and look where that got him...

hags

Its backed by thin air thats fake in my book.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Catfish4u wrote:What is gold really worth? Economic theory says its worth should be a result of supply and demand.

In reality, it's worth the cost to produce plus a fair profit. The cost to produce rises with demand, however, as gold rich land becomes more valuable with the potential for higher profits. Fuel, labor, and equipment costs tend to remain relatively steady.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:12 pm

Flawed or not, it's this "fake" money that is necessary to transact in ordinary life. Dollars put food on your table, gas in your tank and gets you everything else you consume. The idea is to have as few of these depreciating dollars on hand as possible and not put you and your family at risk by not having them when you need them. All surplus dollars should be put to use in some form or other: purchasing equity in something that generates value or purchasing something that holds its value better than its depreciating paper form.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Frank t » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 am

i seen that picture u

FUXXING hilarious
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals