How do you buy your silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How do you buy your silver?

Postby Ethon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Do you buy your silver in larger bars (100 ounce bars), small rounds (1 ounce round), 90% coins, or 40% coins?
If you buy 90% do you like dimes/quarters/halfs/dollars?
Please explain why you prefer the way you get your silver, and sorry if there has been a post like this before i have looked and didn't find one.

I'll start things off I have mostly small rounds, because i used to just buy 3-6 ounces a week and they were the easiest for me to get. I also have a couple rolls of Morgans because they are my favorite coin. (i have a small amount of 90/40% from searching rolls). I want to start getting into 90% silver but i don't know if i should go dimes, quarters, halfs, or dollars.
Ethon
Penny Sorter Member

Re: How do you buy your silver?

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm

I prefer my silver in 90%. Honestly, I'd take it any way I can get it, but I've stumbled on to more 90% than I have .999 bars. I think it might be because I first started off as a coin collector, then moved to taking a stake in bullion. Also, with searching coins from banks, it just seems more natural to hoard 90%. I try to stick with halves. Personal preference. '64 JFKs come first, then Franklins. After that, I go with dimes. Quarters are too worn down for my taste.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Halves seem to be the most liquid of the 90% to me as far as people off the street, not saying that the dimes aren't, but they move faster in my experience if you're selling small parts of your holding for whatever reason. A good coin shop in my area pays the same for all 90% except $1 coins. Buy what you like. Unfortunately I have a thing for ASEs which can be bad because of the premium but they can usually be sold for over spot even to stores. It's your take on things. I'm always sure to ask what a given store will buy back things for when I'm thinking about buying some silver "whatevers" just to see where I'm at with it.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rexor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:58 pm

As a collector first I prefer coins, any, particularly international. I figure if the bottom falls out I still have a decent coin collection that may retain some value. Also I have found selling international coins as singles has gone well for me in the past, even junk. Though it is a lot of work :).
Rexor

Postby Ethon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks for the reply's guys! I'm going to try buying more 90% now.
@Mo i have a soft spot for ASEs some of those rounds i mentioned earlier were ASEs, they are very good looking coins and my dealer sells them to me at spot sometimes (when ever he does that i get as many as i can)
Ethon
Penny Sorter Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:27 pm

I perfer ASEs....but I do like bars... I have a goal of 100 1oz bars. I am almost there. When ever I buy silver, I always throw a 1 oz or two in.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Ethon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Just found my 1 pound ASE it is beautifully toned the picture doesn't capture it very well, but this is one of my favorite bullion pieces.

Ethon
Penny Sorter Member

Postby RickS » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 am

Cheap and shiny, like my women.

:lol:
RickS
Penny Sorter Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:14 am

Imagine if the mint made the larger size silver bullion regularly. 2 oz, 5oz, 10oz. All same design not those state quarters that are going too high over spot.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby GTOJohn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:21 am

i only have a few 100s - most of the time i look for 10 oz bars, or 90%.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tommybee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:54 am

I have a little bit of everything. From 1 oz generic bars/coins thru 100 oz bars. 40%, 90% ASE's, Maples, Libertads...etc. I like to be diversified. Lately, I've been buying whatever I can find closest to spot. That means a lot of 90% and generic 1 oz rounds. I really think that we will look back on $29 silver as a bargain. Happy stacking.
Tommybee

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:25 am

I buy in tens.

I got ten ASE, then 10 Libertad, 10 Maple, etc.

I also pick up Maria Theresia Thalers and Mexican 1968 Olympic 72% silver on eBay as it's usually cheap.

This month I only got 20 ounces of silver though as I am trying to fill a box of ten golf half sovereigns by selling off junk I don't need on eBay.

I have managed six so far in three weeks which is not bad going at £110 each... :)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dvorak » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:38 am

I'm with Tommybee, I try to buy as cheap as possible. Although I am shying away from foreign & non-999.

However, the 1999-2009 Silver Proof Sets are my exception to the no non-999 rule. I can't seem to turn them down when they show up on eBay under spot. If these are being broken up & melted like I think they might be (as they just don't seem to catch any premium on eBay except the key sets) all years might turn out to be a good collectible. And if not, there's 90% silver & pretty pocket change in there!
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Silver69 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:22 am

I prefer generic 1 oz rounds. I'll take ASE's if I can get them without the premium attached. I started hoarding silver back when it was $5 an ounce and sold most of it at $15 an ounce. Back then it didn't matter how shiny the ASE's were. Dealers paid the same for shiny proof ASE's as they did ugly worn dirty generic rounds. It doesn't matter how pretty it is, just try to get it as cheap as possible. I'm now into the 90% coins, I hope they are as liquid as the 1oz rounds. Cheap generic rounds of a decent mint + baking soda and water= me happy!!!
Silver69

Postby uthminsta » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:02 pm

RickS wrote:Cheap and shiny, like my women. :lol:

I prefer TONED. ;)
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jasmatk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:24 pm

I go for 1 or 10 oz bars/rounds first then 90% smalls (dimes/quarters)also canadian silver I dont buy 40% or war nics unless its the odd ball single or a great deal on a lot.I buy smaller .999 and 90% becouse of the future resale 100+oz bars are great but when the price soars they will be hard to sell lets say if you bought a 100 oz bar of gold back when it was $50 you paid only 5k know its worth 140k kind of hard to find buyers at least on the common level.Id rather have 1000 1 oz bars than 10 100 oz bars
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Ethon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Just bought 10 dollars face today 8 dollars in halfs, 2 in dimes. cost about 205 dollars
Ethon
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 999Ni » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:42 pm

i like to buy junk silver cuz I can caress it and roll around in bed with it.

999Ag i don't like to touch
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Ethon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:28 am

Haha, 999Ni i have rolled around in my silver a few times i must admit.

Why don't you like 999AG?
Ethon
Penny Sorter Member

Postby aristobolus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:48 am

You name it ; I buy it.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:45 am

i look at it in terms of tradeoffs and opportunities. you can sometimes find 90% below melt but .999 often has a premium. whatever is available at the best price. larger and/or more obscure .999 and smaller, worn 90% is less liquid and is priced accordingly.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppertone » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:14 pm

I buy the cheapest which generally means 90% or 40% US junk and 80% Canadian. I try to focus on 0.50/1.00 coins. I also buy 92.5% Canadian Olympic coins when I can get them at MV. I have trouble justifying the premium I would need to pay for .999 ASE or Maples from a bullion dealer. I estimate that over the last 6 months this strategy has enabled me to acquire an extra 1600.00 in silver (based on melt value) over the premium bullion coins.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mr18 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:27 pm

i too stick to 90% junk silver, mostly halves and dimes, very few eales since everybody wants between 4 to 8 dollars over spot!
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby .02FYI » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:I buy in tens.

I am trying to fill a box of ten golf half sovereigns by selling off junk I don't need on eBay.

I have managed six so far in three weeks which is not bad going at £110 each... :)

Good idea. I have not figured out how to use my digital camera. Scanner not connecteed to the computer. With so many things going on . This still seems like a good idea. Yet only bought on ebay and curious about sell side. Do you sell what you don't need or what you think others will buy. Is it hard to do this on you own . Are you self taught? I've consider using on of those services yet they charge 30 % . So I need some funds to get this cu, ni going. Thinking Hmm
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals