Article in Friday's WallStreetJournal

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Article in Friday's WallStreetJournal

Postby rainsonme » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Friday's Wall Street Journal had an interesting article on gold & silver. Everthing below is a quote from the article on Sept 17 page C1/C5:

"Barclays Capital estimates the amount of silver used for fabrication will rise 5.4% from a year ago, not enough to soak up silver supplies on its own. By year's end there will be a surpluse of 4,480 metric tons of silver, as production from mining and recycling outstrips demand ..."

"Meanwhile, hedge funds have been adding silver into their portfolios since mid-2010 ..."

"sales of American Eagle silver coins at the US Mint have risen an estimated 17% in the first 3 quarters of this year, which is down from last year, when sales soared 47%"

"as prices rise, some buyers are shifting toward junk silver coins ... Junk silver sales have climibed to 35% of total silver sales, up from 22% last year ..."

"Record silver prices have lured banks and coin collectors who have held onto thes coins back into the market."

"The recent strong silver rally has driven the traditional relationship between gold and silver prices back down toward the typical raito of 62 to 1. That ratio was in the upper 60s for much of the summer ..."

"silver prices tend to swing more widely than gold, throwing the ratio out of wack at times."

"Silver is still well below the record high hit in January 1980 ... On an inflation adjusted basis, silver prices are even further from their 1980 high. The last time silver was higher than Thursday was on Oct 15 1980, when it settled at $20.98 --- $55.94 in 2010 dollars."

trasncribed from the paper; any mis-spellings are my own.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Article in Friday's WallStreetJournal

Postby Ardent Listener » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post this here. I already passed it on.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Re: Article in Friday's WallStreetJournal

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:21 am

rainsonme wrote:Friday's Wall Street Journal had an interesting article on gold & silver. Everthing below is a quote from the article on Sept 17 page C1/C5:

"Barclays Capital estimates the amount of silver used for fabrication will rise 5.4% from a year ago, not enough to soak up silver supplies on its own. By year's end there will be a surpluse of 4,480 metric tons of silver, as production from mining and recycling outstrips demand ..."

"Meanwhile, hedge funds have been adding silver into their portfolios since mid-2010 ..."

"sales of American Eagle silver coins at the US Mint have risen an estimated 17% in the first 3 quarters of this year, which is down from last year, when sales soared 47%"

"as prices rise, some buyers are shifting toward junk silver coins ... Junk silver sales have climibed to 35% of total silver sales, up from 22% last year ..."

"Record silver prices have lured banks and coin collectors who have held onto thes coins back into the market."

"The recent strong silver rally has driven the traditional relationship between gold and silver prices back down toward the typical raito of 62 to 1. That ratio was in the upper 60s for much of the summer ..."

"silver prices tend to swing more widely than gold, throwing the ratio out of wack at times."

"Silver is still well below the record high hit in January 1980 ... On an inflation adjusted basis, silver prices are even further from their 1980 high. The last time silver was higher than Thursday was on Oct 15 1980, when it settled at $20.98 --- $55.94 in 2010 dollars."

trasncribed from the paper; any mis-spellings are my own.

Aww, nuts! I was hoping it would be way higher due to medical applications as a microbial.

Thanks for the quotes. Kinda makes me wonder if silver will ever go back to it's historical ratio of 15:1 against gold.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals