Sentiment

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Sentiment

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:03 am

scyther wrote:
SoFa wrote:I was in a coin shop today. The owner was an older guy and he was talking to two customers about the crash. His sentiment was that he was scared and wanted to unload his bullion.

This goes against the belief that dealers would hold back bullion if the prices were too low.

I think the old timers who have a significant amount of their wealth in bullion will be reacting the same way as this guy. If you're retired and have a lot of gold and silver, you can't afford to take chances.

Hm... doesn't that apply to a lot of realcenters? And yet not many people here seem to be planning to sell their hoard...

I have no plans on selling mine. Unless I were to receive a ridiculous offer for it....

Then I would simply go out and buy MORE! :mrgreen:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:34 pm

barrytrot wrote:
Explanation of what I mean by "free interest on taxes" -> Most people that pay taxes do so by payroll deduction and the formulas for payroll deduction are INTENTIONALLY WRONG. Such that if you do what the formula tells you that means you WILL GET A TAX REFUND. People tend to love these, of course. But if they realized that they just gave the government a zero percent interest loan they might think differently.

I never could understand people making such a big deal about getting a tax refund. I hear all time people celebrating when they get money back FROM THE GOVERNMENT. No you did not get money back from the government. You just got YOUR OWN money back.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16 pm

NDFarmer wrote:........You just got SOME OF YOUR OWN money back.

Fixed it for you ND.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:52 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
scyther wrote:
68Camaro wrote:Only applies to people who still believe in fiat...

Fiat's real whether you like it or not. If I were retired and the value of my life savings went down significantly, I don't think I could shrug it off and say "still have the same amount of ounces, it's all good".

sure fiats "real", and I am retired....and a lot of my 'savings' are in silver, but they're also in land, and they are in nickels....the buddy, I love nickels. I noticed you "sorted" thru 40,000...I assume you were looking for war nickels?....that's good..probably found a few, right....but PLEASE tell me, you stacked those 20 bricks ($100 FV box, 2,000 nickels in each) and SAVED them...please tell me that...lol....THATS the way to save money, imo....each roll, I think of it, as a Hard $2 metal "bill".i RARELY keep any paper folding money, just an odd 20 or two, for when I go visit my old gal to get a haircut....I got a "deal" going with my bro's at the credit union, every two weeks, they order me a brick of nicks ....two a month, $200, in addition to the stack....when I get first whiff,they're gonna debase?...then i'm doing a 100 mile radius sweep and get 10 to 30 more bricks...mark my words, the nickel is going to be a very important coin, a really good store of wealth....AS WELL as silver....and in that, you'll see the Kennedy 40%'er get real popular...almost a fifth a toz of silver...backed by the 1964 90% Kennedy halve, which is a couple ticks over a third an ounce of silver...this will be the money you trade with.

sure I like the 95% coppers, fine coin, but the brick of nick's, is purty much hassle free...know what I mean?......and I posted on the nickel board, I actually scored me a WHOLE brick of 2009's!! lol...fresh from the mint...sure I could make me some extra money, but I don't wanna be wrapping and sending and receiving, and bing bang boom....not worth it to me.

Yeah, I sort for war nickels, buffalos, Vs, and Jeffs for my Dansco album, and keep all pre-60s cause why not. I usually return the rest to the bank though, and get more the next week. I agree nickels are a great way to save cash, but I just don't have that much cash to save, and unfortunately no income, so I don't have many stacked. Maybe $200.

It's kind of a paradox- the most convenient way to save is in unopened bricks (they stack well!), but then I just need to sort them cause I know there's probably at least one silver, and once I sort them- why save it? Just get a new unopened brick! :lol: I get 2 boxes a week from my bank by the way, and yeah I'll stack a few when a I hear news of debasement.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:09 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
barrytrot wrote:
Explanation of what I mean by "free interest on taxes" -> Most people that pay taxes do so by payroll deduction and the formulas for payroll deduction are INTENTIONALLY WRONG. Such that if you do what the formula tells you that means you WILL GET A TAX REFUND. People tend to love these, of course. But if they realized that they just gave the government a zero percent interest loan they might think differently.

I never could understand people making such a big deal about getting a tax refund. I hear all time people celebrating when they get money back FROM THE GOVERNMENT. No you did not get money back from the government. You just got YOUR OWN money back.

You got your OWN money back, and yet the government calls your "refund" taxable INCOME! :x
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:
barrytrot wrote:

You got your OWN money back, and yet the government calls your "refund" taxable INCOME! :x

They do? I didn't know that... I was naive yet again... so they literally tax you twice on the same income? Well, that explains why everyone gets a tax refund...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Made several buys in past 5 weeks an that added ounces to the stack. Yes FRN price changed but I still have X ounces. Looking for a few more FRNs to buy additional. All the pain would disappear if I could find XXX to buy more :D . Enjoying life at 75 :thumbup:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:03 am

Well... it looks like they're aiming at $22.80 now... as pennypicker pointed out. :roll: :thumbdown: Gold broke below $1400
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:12 am

As a point of reference, gold is down 10% while brent crude is down 2.5%.

A silver quarter will buy $4.25 worth of gas, so I think there's another 75 cents worth of drop for that quarter before it bumps up against the old standby of $.25 gas in 1964.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:25 pm

I was wondering if they would consider the damage done today was "enough." Apparently not, after hours now and gold is down $135, silver broke previous support at $22.80 and is down a whopping $3.22. Mother of G** :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:55 pm

There unfortunately tends to develop a knock-on affect where the inertia is hard to stop for a time....
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals