Junk silver or not.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Junk silver or not.

Postby Z00 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:21 pm

A question has been nagging me regarding some of the pricing done on the BIN threads on this forum.

"JUNK" silver is supposed to be coins that are of such a poor quality that they have no numismatic value. Yet mercury dimes are fairly consistently priced higher than roosies. They are more worn, so the silver content is on average less. If they have no collectible value, what justifies their being priced with a higher premium? At that point, with an average lower silver melt value, shouldn't they be priced lower?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Junk silver or not.

Postby beauanderos » Thu May 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Z00 wrote:A question has been nagging me regarding some of the pricing done on the BIN threads on this forum.

"JUNK" silver is supposed to be coins that are of such a poor quality that they have no numismatic value.

Junk is a misnomer if you are using it strictly in this sense. If that were the case, you could only refer to slicks as junk silver, whereas ALL 90% silver coins are widely referred to as junk silver. Not sure how the name got started, but we're stuck with it. All older coins, regardless of weight, are numies to someone, everyone starts with an album that they fill with "junk" and then, budget affording, upgrade from there. Most rolls of Walkers or Mercs sold by long-standing members have had the culls (bad thins) weeded out. Bullion wise? You're slightly better off buying a roll of rosies at avg wt 123.6 grams (.715) than an avg wt roll of mercs (121.8), but the difference you spend... or "overspend" depending upon your point of view, is worth it to some who view these earlier denominations as unsurpassed in design beauty, compared to newer drab types. One final point... when the day arrives that counterfeits inundate the markets, it might prove more likely that the Chinese would focus on full wt modern coins rather than going to all the effort to reproduce worn versions of older types (although that remains to be seen :roll:)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Z00 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Since I only buy for silver content, I will stick with the less worn roosies. Every once in a while I buy a roll and sometimes "someone" (hint, hint :roll: :roll:) has a smaller lot available with a low shipping.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Since alot of the mercs and Walkers have been forever lost to smelters there is also a premium attached to them regarding scarcity.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Z00 wrote:Since I only buy for silver content, I will stick with the less worn roosies.

Roosies sound great for your goal, but semi-numismatic coins like mercs serve a purpose too. The recent story of $3 mercs at a flea market is an excellent example. People will happily pay that much for a merc, but very few would be interested in roosies at the same price point.

beauanderos wrote:Since alot of the mercs and Walkers have been forever lost to smelters there is also a premium attached to them regarding scarcity.

Agreed. In circulation I find at least 50 roosies for every merc, and nice condition pre-depression mercs are rare as hen's teeth.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals