Remember University of Texas buying Gold?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Remember University of Texas buying Gold?

Postby fasteddy » Wed May 22, 2013 12:20 pm

A few years back UT bought alot of gold for their endowment fund...They are down $300 million currently. Ouch. But probably a drop in the bucket dollar wise.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Re: Remember University of Texas buying Gold?

Postby AirTractor » Wed May 22, 2013 1:54 pm

fasteddy wrote:A few years back UT bought alot of gold for their endowment fund...They are down $300 million currently. Ouch. But probably a drop in the bucket dollar wise.

In ten years they might have their own tv network.... oh yeah, they already do!

It'll pay off for them in the long haul. I'm sure UT isn't hurting for $. As much as I hate the Longhorns, I do respect them (even though KState has owned them recently :P )
AirTractor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed May 22, 2013 3:58 pm

fasteddy wrote:A few years back UT bought alot of gold for their endowment fund...They are down $300 million currently. Ouch. But probably a drop in the bucket dollar wise.

Maybe they could eventually sell that gold to their students or alumni through some program. Not kidding really. If gold has value to UT, it will be by selling/leasing it out. A major price drop on gold w/o UT having sold any makes them a bagholder. They could at least sell it to alumni in a fund drive someday maybe?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed May 22, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't believe they're down at all, much less $300M. The reveal that they had it was in 2011 when gold was $1486, and they already had it then. Another article said their average buy price was $1150/toz, so they're still sitting just fine, best as I know.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby sparechange » Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Not to worry, the citizens of Texas will be "happy" to bail them out(if necessary)seeing that the university is publicly funded, or maybe they can get advice from the likes of JPMorgan,BOA, etc., and get all taxpayers to pitch in.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed May 22, 2013 5:43 pm

68Camaro wrote:I don't believe they're down at all, much less $300M. The reveal that they had it was in 2011 when gold was $1486, and they already had it then. Another article said their average buy price was $1150/toz, so they're still sitting just fine, best as I know.

Yeah I read they are in the black, had sold some the earlier this year, have bought some futures in gold and equities, etc. Can we get them on the copper bandwagon somehow? They have 10's of billions of dollars to endow with.............
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat May 25, 2013 7:56 am

68 Camaro is correct they are sitting comfortable. They bought early, cashed out some at a profit, then bet the paper game. Besides Kyle Bass will take care of them if necessary. Endowments are held for future benefits not current needs. Time is on there side.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals