Roll Searching ???

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Roll Searching ???

Postby slvrbck » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:10 pm

First off, I'm brand new to this site and this is my first posting. I havn't been able to go through everything yet, so I apologize if a similar topic has already been covered. Like most here I'm sure, years back I used to do alot of pulling silver out of circulation. In more recent years I have turned to purchasing and selling PM's at the going market value. I have recently been pondering the possibilities of going back to roll searching coins and was looking for feedback. Am I wasting my time? Do any of you guys still find enough to make it worthwhile or is it just for the hobbyists? Should I expect to find anything in say a $500 box of halves?
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: Roll Searching ???

Postby slvrbck » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:16 pm

oh yeah. . . we're closing above $21 tomorrow!
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby BamaJoe » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Greetings Slvbck. It looks like you and I took opposite paths. I've first started buying collectables in the 80's and 90's, went heavy for pure weight a decade ago and am new to roll seaching. As far as I'm concerned it's worthwhile. I've searched 81 boxes of havles so far (usually 4 a week) and am averaging $24 a box. Since I can knock out a box in about an hour and am usually watching tv while I do it, I'll take that return. Check out the tracking threads to see box by box results of all of us that post there. No need to apoligize for any question - feel free to ask away. Some of the folks here are very knowledgable and have been into metal longer than me.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Radiant » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:03 pm

after 4 skunks i called it quits for awhile, but just last week i decited to order a box and got one 40% out of the whole thing. to me its worth it just to find one.
Radiant
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Roll searching is just plain fun!!! :mrgreen: Of course, don't expect the SILVER motherlode the first time out, but finding the SILVER treasure (my pretty 8-) ) can be down right exhilarating. Halves will give you the best production, but you'll have to test the water in your area to conclude that it's truly worthwhile. Other folks, while giving up on halves, have found that edge searching dimes produces for them. Still others, find that SILVER War Nickel searching suits them. So, I would say that you should try some of each at first and see what gives you the most SILVERs.

Halves are hit or miss, sometimes you strike it rich, other times you are SKUNKED for extended periods - gotta be patient and resolved when searching halves. At $500 per box, you will need the most CASH upfront to search halves. Dime searching seems constant at 1 to 2 SILVER dimes on average per $250 box. You get about one SILVER War Nickel for each $100 nickel box you search. It's not really worth it searching boxes of quarters, although some folks have made a killing with CWRs (customer wrapped rolls) and teller trays. CWRs give you the best SILVER production. Always eyeball those teller trays for shiny money and ask for the tellers for CWRs.

Basic rule: Never bring the coins back to the place you got them from. There is nothing worse than getting cut off from your source bank because you have infuriated some bank teller or manager. Be courteous and respectful with your source bank tellers because they are the ones giving you the SILVERs. Find as many dump bank branches as possible to dump your coins. Spread out your dumps because you don't want to get cut off from them either.

Anyway, best of luck. When you find SILVER be sure to post your finds in the "*Official Sept. 2010 Half Dollars and Other Coins" thread. :D

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=97
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals