My local LCS and 'ordering junk silver'

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

My local LCS and 'ordering junk silver'

Postby Catfish4u » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:04 am

I called my LCS today and asked if they had any 'junk silver'. He said 'hold on let me go look'. A minute later he came back and said they were out - they sent $4,000 face a few days ago to get melted down.

I asked how busy they were or how long it would take for them to get some back in. He stated he could order as much as I wanted and lock in current prices but I would need to pay up front. I seriously thought about it but did not want to leave a few thousand dollars at a business without any assurances they would be there tomorrow or next week to deliver my silver. I have been buying from them for a few months and getting 40% at about coinflation melt prices. I am not sure how long they have been in business. Am I being too paranoid?
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Re: My local LCS and 'ordering junk silver'

Postby Engineer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:49 am

I see two different scenarios:

He's low on cash and would need the money to get the silver in, or he could be afraid you'll back out on the buy if prices drop. You might be able to work out a deal with 50% up front, or you could offer coinflation melt for 40% here.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals