Now my quarter collection is (NOT)complete (for Ray and all)

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Now my quarter collection is (NOT)complete (for Ray and all)

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Ray had OP'ed a thread on Provident, and I chimed in, blah blah.

right at that time, THOUGH I had sworn, nothing bought until I reduced all debt, the whole in my collection of US 90% silver modern coinage (1892-1964) had one "hole' in it, I didn't have a roll of Barber quarters. Just now I filled this hole with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLL-OF-40-Barb ... true&rt=nc

yeh yeh...I know. I paid UP......but I did for a reason, I had to blow away anybody I thought might want it. The seller is a GOOD seller, gets hi qual coins, and if you look at the quarters, she is right by saying "VG" and above....for a Barber to get into the "F" (Fine12) at least 3 letters of the word "Liberty" have to visible....but with the VG, very good8......you don't have to have these letters visible,. Looking at the photo, there are maybe four F12's there....and with Barbers....(there is even a Barber Society...I kid you not...i'm gonna join...lol)....so paying roughly $7 a coin to fill a hole in a collection?

personally, I walk a wire between stacking as currency insurance, and being into numi's. i'm middle class, and the only times I wish I had a LITTLE bit more money, is for certain American coins before 1892...I cant afford those, and I don't ....nay, I will not buy coins that do not have silver in them.

so.....what do you guys think about that roll? any feedback?....did I get jammed THAT bad? (i'm laughing) best to you all, neil
Last edited by neilgin1 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Now my quarter collection is complete (for Ray and all)

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Nice roll :thumbup: The bidder who was right behind you didn't think you got jammed... in fact he's cursing himself for letting it go and not having bid another ten dollars higher. Got cojones? :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:15 pm

beauanderos wrote:Nice roll :thumbup: The bidder who was right behind you didn't think you got jammed... in fact he's cursing himself for letting it go and not having bid another ten dollars higher. Got cojones? :lol:

the bidder right behind has 4655 iirc, which means he's either a vet LCS, or a well heeled balls to the wall stacker/collector, and my bid was 287.75.....truth be told?...I was actually praying for him to take me out. serious. I cant REALLY afford it, BUT, in light of this temporary dip in silver, I couldn't "afford " for it to get away......isn't that strange?....human psychology.

certain coins....I been seeing less and less of....or certain coins I see come offered in waves.....like in late 12, there was a HUGE wave of GEM/BU Morgans in rolls being offered....now?....not so much.

same thing with GEM/BU Walking Liberty's......many many rolls being offered....now? not so much.

in mid to late 2011, there were many many rolls of 40% Ikes, both brown and blue in BU condition....I bought a vast majority of those offered on Ebay, and I didn't even have to bid up that much...they were pretty much ignored...same thing with 40% Kennedy's in that time frame...bought a lot, and didn't have to bid crazy...nobody wanted them.....but they all have silver in 'em.

now today, I don't see hardly any Ike rolls on Ebay, and I rarely see quality rolls of 40% Kennedy's....no proofs or "SMS's.

what DOES spook me out a LOT, I gotta confess, are the ASES....I got rolls of 94's, 02's, 06's, 08's......and they have this burnished finish, which I like, but then a roll of 12's I got, have this shiny finish....and the shiny finish spooks me. Why?....it was that cyber visit to that Chinese hell hole "alibaba"
that shook me up but GOOD....and made me FURIOUS....so much, that my ardor for Silver Eagles is totally diminished....as well as any ardor for Morgan's and Peace dollars.

anyway, I hope your well OB, and cutting down on those crazy shifts you had been taking, I remain your YB, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Last edited by Engineer on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Engineer wrote:Don't click on this link, Neil.

https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/item?itemId=370853553418&sk=SCH_339837

holy smokes!!! what in the heck is that?.....everything I like, in one page...how'd you do that? hahhahah

besides squaring away ALL family with houses, if I won the lotto....you KNOW what i'd be doing......lol....hahahahhahahahah
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Now my quarter collection is (NOT)complete (for Ray and

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 am

neilgin1 wrote:Ray had OP'ed a thread on Provident, and I chimed in, blah blah.

right at that time, THOUGH I had sworn, nothing bought until I reduced all debt, the whole in my collection of US 90% silver modern coinage (1892-1964) had one "hole' in it, I didn't have a roll of Barber quarters. Just now I filled this hole with this:

yeh yeh...I know. I paid UP......but I did for a reason, I had to blow away anybody I thought might want it. The seller is a GOOD seller, gets hi qual coins, and if you look at the quarters, she is right by saying "VG" and above....for a Barber to get into the "F" (Fine12) at least 3 letters of the word "Liberty" have to visible....but with the VG, very good8......you don't have to have these letters visible,. Looking at the photo, there are maybe four F12's there....and with Barbers....(there is even a Barber Society...I kid you not...i'm gonna join...lol)....so paying roughly $7 a coin to fill a hole in a collection?

personally, I walk a wire between stacking as currency insurance, and being into numi's. i'm middle class, and the only times I wish I had a LITTLE bit more money, is for certain American coins before 1892...I cant afford those, and I don't ....nay, I will not buy coins that do not have silver in them.

so.....what do you guys think about that roll? any feedback?....did I get jammed THAT bad? (i'm laughing) best to you all, neil

I didn't get "ganked" (that a slang word word my soon to be 18 year old boy used to mean...ah.."screwed"?...yeh)...I didn't ganked, but clearly a lot of once prime time sellers, are now scrapping the bottom of the barrel......I get the roll in, I got my boy and my niece here at Bag End.....i'm trying to show her...she's almost 13, the meme, that when, in the future, you get a paycheck, always take some out to buy hard currency, and then reiterated the need for zip lock mouths....y'know, no bragging...say nothing, have a safe, etc. My boy knows this already.

so I take the roll out to glass it.....and if you go to the original listing, she's highlights ONE coin, with the three letters of the word "Liberty" that you use to grade Barbers....I should have known better...THAT was the ONLY coin that graded VG....to be fair, the others were high G4's, but two things, NONE had a single letter of the word "Liberty"....AND to make matters worse......ALL the coins were EXTRA common dates, for example...and this was getting me hot under the collar, of 40 coins, i'd say at least 10 to 15, were 1916-D's......ok, whats the beef?...here it is.....1916-D's had 6.5 mln minted, whereas the 1916-P's had 1.7 mln minted.....no P's.....and every coin was 1912 or higher, but the coin would ALWAYS be the highest minted, the common date. The seller's not a dummy, she just must think I am. I UNDERSTAND, i'm not going to get a roll of numi-rarities....but C'MON!!...the implication of writing "Great Assortment!!" is that you WILL get a few high numi's.

I stopped buying bullion coins, just so I can retire debt...the ONLY reason I went for this roll, was to fill a hole in my collection....this was the SAME seller, I has bought $30 face of 64 Kennedy Proofs, all grading out at MS67 plus...including six "accented hairs".....the kids had fun watching me stew...they were laughing, and the seller is NOT a skank, so within 45 minutes, the roll was put back in the tube, and I was down at Steve the Postal Guy, sending it back, after telling the seller, "'only one VG, I return", and a return email saying, "sorry, you dint like your coins, i'll refund upon receipt of returned roll".....so they are honorable there.

but the whole point is this.....i'm certain its a function of price, but there is a definite "shortage" of hi qual 90%'er rolls. There are still rolls of 60's era Rooosies, Washington's and Franklins, all trading around 22 times to 25 times.....but I got a pat hand, so back to paying down debt. I DONT blame dealers or individuals NOT wanting to sell RAW rolls, that haven't been picked over for numi's....or offering rolls of hi-value numi's down here.

and like Ray said, there is no shortage of worn circulated 90's.....its just that I wont pay 27 times face for common date G4 Barbers. I wanted to share that with you all...btw, I checked all my saved sellers, guys who had just brilliant rolls of 90 and 40%'ers....and guess what....the only rolls they are offering are for cupro-nickel clad's at numi prices, which I got little interest in.

have a good weekend my brothers, God save the Republic! neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Now my quarter collection is (NOT)complete (for Ray and

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:58 am

neilgin1 wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:Ray had OP'ed a thread on Provident, and I chimed in, blah blah.

I didn't get "ganked" (that a slang word word my soon to be 18 year old boy used to mean...ah.."screwed"?...yeh)...I didn't ganked, but clearly a lot of once prime time sellers, are now scrapping the bottom of the barrel......I get the roll in, I got my boy and my niece here at Bag End.....i'm trying to show her...she's almost 13, the meme, that when, in the future, you get a paycheck, always take some out to buy hard currency, and then reiterated the need for zip lock mouths....y'know, no bragging...say nothing, have a safe, etc. My boy knows this already.

so I take the roll out to glass it.....and if you go to the original listing, she's highlights ONE coin, with the three letters of the word "Liberty" that you use to grade Barbers....I should have known better...THAT was the ONLY coin that graded VG....to be fair, the others were high G4's, but two things, NONE had a single letter of the word "Liberty"....AND to make matters worse......ALL the coins were EXTRA common dates, for example...and this was getting me hot under the collar, of 40 coins, i'd say at least 10 to 15, were 1916-D's......ok, whats the beef?...here it is.....1916-D's had 6.5 mln minted, whereas the 1916-P's had 1.7 mln minted.....no P's.....and every coin was 1912 or higher, but the coin would ALWAYS be the highest minted, the common date. The seller's not a dummy, she just must think I am. I UNDERSTAND, i'm not going to get a roll of numi-rarities....but C'MON!!...the implication of writing "Great Assortment!!" is that you WILL get a few high numi's.

I stopped buying bullion coins, just so I can retire debt...the ONLY reason I went for this roll, was to fill a hole in my collection....this was the SAME seller, I has bought $30 face of 64 Kennedy Proofs, all grading out at MS67 plus...including six "accented hairs".....the kids had fun watching me stew...they were laughing, and the seller is NOT a skank, so within 45 minutes, the roll was put back in the tube, and I was down at Steve the Postal Guy, sending it back, after telling the seller, "'only one VG, I return", and a return email saying, "sorry, you dint like your coins, i'll refund upon receipt of returned roll".....so they are honorable there.

but the whole point is this.....i'm certain its a function of price, but there is a definite "shortage" of hi qual 90%'er rolls. There are still rolls of 60's era Rooosies, Washington's and Franklins, all trading around 22 times to 25 times.....but I got a pat hand, so back to paying down debt. I DONT blame dealers or individuals NOT wanting to sell RAW rolls, that haven't been picked over for numi's....or offering rolls of hi-value numi's down here.

and like Ray said, there is no shortage of worn circulated 90's.....its just that I wont pay 27 times face for common date G4 Barbers. I wanted to share that with you all...btw, I checked all my saved sellers, guys who had just brilliant rolls of 90 and 40%'ers....and guess what....the only rolls they are offering are for cupro-nickel clad's at numi prices, which I got little interest in.

have a good weekend my brothers, God save the Republic! neil

Glad you returned them. I noticed in the pic that there were an awful lot of 1916's... but I didn't want to ruin your excitement as you waited to inspect them. You have to go through at least one hundred barber's to find one in VG condition, probably more like 300 to 500 (that's in lots bought publicly). For my part, I just received a lot of 280 Barber dimes... and least 95% of them were 1916, 1913, and 1916-D. Maybe a few VG6, but mostly AG3. You can buy higher graded Barber rolls from APMEX, but you'll PAY for it, and I'm certain it won't be anything but the most common dates from that source as well.

Sorry your roll didn't meet your expectations. Maybe just bid upon one nice specimen next time? Putting together a nice type set can be fulfilling :thumbup:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals