My first 90%!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

My first 90%!

Postby Common Cents » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi folks. Had to share my latest find with the realcent community!

I've been searching through every coin that's passed through my hands over the last six years or so, and never found a single 90% coin. The best I've manged has been a handful of 40% halves that I've gotten from the relatively few amount of halves that I occasionally pick up at banks. I usually put most of my efforts into penny sorting, so the halves are more of a rarity for me. Anyways, today I went to my local bank to pick up some pennies, and on a whim I decided to inquire about halves. The teller says she has plenty and proceeds to pull out 10 CWR rolls. I only had enough $ to buy two of them. So I get home and open the rolls, and am quite pleased to find one 40% half in each roll. Being quite stoked, I grabbed another 80 bucks and headed back to the bank for the remaining rolls. Ten more 40% halves and one beautiful, shiny 1964 half were the result!

I think I'm going to make a concerted effort to start asking for halves more regularly after this bonanza. :D

From today's melt prices:
12 X 40% = 52.32
1 X 90$ = 10.67
Total- 62.99

Not too shabby!

Good luck to everyone in their searches.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Re: My first 90%!

Postby Country » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Congrats! :D

May the SILVER QUEEN pay you another visit soon! :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby tbram88 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Great day, I'm still waiting to find even 1 40% although I haven't sorted halves for very long This post motivates me do do more.

Congrats on a outstanding find.

Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverguy0001 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Grats. I haven't found any yet :( I did get a 1964 dime in my change at a Starbucks last month. I was happy. They paid me that day :)
silverguy0001

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Congrats. It is definitely addicting once you found your 1st 90%; you may be going to every local bank asking for halves now :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby geewhzz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:01 pm

nice find! my only time finding 90% was when I was at the mall walking around and decided to checkout Tilt Arcade after reading a post here saying "if you're bored on a Saturday plug the change machine with bills" so I did that. After putting in $9 I found a 90% silver quarter. I was ecstatic about it for the next week and kept it on me as my "lucky quarter"
geewhzz

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals